First up a few Alpines, AKA the French Porsche 911

Norev A106

UH A310 GT

Norev A610

And the Matras

Bizarre Djet

Bizarre M530 LX

Norev Bagheera

Now, no cracks about the M530 being Bizarre! Matras are close to my heart, as I own a 1983 Talbot-Matra Murena, the last of the line...I'm still looking for a decent 1:43 - the good news, for me, is that one has been announced for release this year - here's hoping 'tis a decent representation.

Oh, sorry if the name Alpine, caused thoughts, of a certain Sunbeam.

Steve

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Those are really cool models of some very interesting cars. I just had a flash that the M530 LX may have been the inspiration for Buick's Reatta coupe from the 90's:

The Bagheera is one of my favorite car names - thanks to good old Rudyard Kipling. The automotive version has three seats across in front, right? How cool - Matra was certainly adventurous. My sincere appreciation goes out to Bizarre for modeling such worthy vehicles. And of course to jinx for posting them here!

I have some 1/43s of the A310; it was one of my dream cars when I was in college, after I started reading CAR magazine. I wasn't aware of the existence of the A106. I probably would've guessed that it was a VW/Porsche prototype just from seeing the image alone. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I'm off to google some pics of a Murena. I think I have a foggy image in mind, but I'm not sure...
EDIT - Found it! I was right - great looking car! I didn't remember that it has three across seating, too. Wild! It must be rather rare, although I did find many pics from Simca owners clubs. I'm glad Matra-Simcas are appreciated by so many people. Thanks for the great post.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good comparison - Reatta vs. Matra. I would bet the Matra was more fun to drive and was quicker but the Buick is sure more attractive. Jinx, there are no Matras and no Alpines in my time zone; I've never seen either marque. Do you have any American cars in your collection? - ranchero, in the shadow of the Rockies -

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Those are all very cool. The A106 does bear a striking resemblance to the 911 along with some 356 traits.

I really like the Djet best out of the lot. Do I recall something like this one at LeMans many moons ago? Might be thinking of a Rover.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BluntFronts said:
Those are really cool models of some very interesting cars. I just had a flash that the M530 LX may have been the inspiration for Buick's Reatta coupe from the 90's:

The Bagheera is one of my favorite car names - thanks to good old Rudyard Kipling. The automotive version has three seats across in front, right? How cool - Matra was certainly adventurous. My sincere appreciation goes out to Bizarre for modeling such worthy vehicles. And of course to jinx for posting them here!

I have some 1/43s of the A310; it was one of my dream cars when I was in college, after I started reading CAR magazine. I wasn't aware of the existence of the A106. I probably would've guessed that it was a VW/Porsche prototype just from seeing the image alone. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I'm off to google some pics of a Murena. I think I have a foggy image in mind, but I'm not sure...
EDIT - Found it! I was right - great looking car! I didn't remember that it has three across seating, too. Wild! It must be rather rare, although I did find many pics from Simca owners clubs. I'm glad Matra-Simcas are appreciated by so many people. Thanks for the great post.
Thanks - the resemblance of the M530 to the Reatta is striking, particularly the greenhouse.

The Murena is pretty rare in the UK - they only came in lhd from the factory, although, a few were converted to rhd. The three abreast seating is quite novel.

:wave:

Steve

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ranchero said:
Good comparison - Reatta vs. Matra. I would bet the Matra was more fun to drive and was quicker but the Buick is sure more attractive. Jinx, there are no Matras and no Alpines in my time zone; I've never seen either marque. Do you have any American cars in your collection? - ranchero, in the shadow of the Rockies -
Not too many US cars - apart from the Brooklin white-metal models, American cars in 1:43 don't appear to be too popular. I've got Franklin Mint's "Cars of the 50's" first series. However, whilst the subject matter was good, the execution was poor - they would have been better without the opening features, which are badly fitting, leading to unsightly panel gaps. I didn't bother with the second series or the '60s cars.

I've also picked up a few of the Matchbox series - I posted the "Muscle Cars" earlier - also the Corvettes and several of the "Oldies But Goodies". Spark & Norev have recently released quite a few modern US cars, particulary Chryslers & Dodges, but, the 1:1s are too recent for my taste.

I get the impression that 1:43 is favoured in Europe & Japan, whilst 1:64 & 1:18 are more appreciated in N. America & Australia. I do note though, that, Minichamps have a '67 Camaro, '76 Torino "Starsky & Hutch" & a '68 Charger in their 2007 catalogue - may be hope yet for a few more!

:wave:

Steve

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ClearHooter said:
Those are all very cool. The A106 does bear a striking resemblance to the 911 along with some 356 traits.

I really like the Djet best out of the lot. Do I recall something like this one at LeMans many moons ago? Might be thinking of a Rover.
Cheers.

Whilst the Djet was used in competition - several have run in the Monte Carlo Rally for instance - I don't think any took part in the Le Mans 24 Hours, although Matra most certainly did, winning from 1972-74 inclusive. It is possible you are thinking of Rover - a gas turbined powered car ran at LM in the early '60s.

:thumbsup:

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts