Hobbyist Forums banner

Alot of new members, trade/buy/sell carefully....

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RCMits 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For new members, trade/buy/sell carefully....

Just some rules to live by: I might miss something... but this should help any buy/sell process... not every buyer is honest, and not every seller is honest. Anything could happen....

Being on these boards for many years, I've sold/bought/traded so many things. I think I've only encountered 2 bad dealings in the past (knock on graphite).

So here goes:

SELLER:
At all times, if possible, provide a picture with what you are selling. That way, if there is ever any problems, you can refer back to the picture to resolve any conflicts.

If you use paypal, make sure it is a confirmed account to receive money from. That way, you have a process in tracking and following up with paypal.

If you don't want to hassle with the "fee"s that come with paypal, then request ONLY a money order from the post office. (Postal Money Order)

If you want, do CASH ON DELIVERY. It costs a bit more, but you know for a fact that you will get your money when delivered.

DO NOT SEND ANYTHING until you receive payment.

Keep emails and tracking of anything you ship, and spend the extra money for delivery confirmation, signature confirmation etc, and insurance if the value is high. Don't blindly think that the USPS/UPS/etc will take care of your package. Plus it covers your rear end should something happen.

BUYER:
Get pictures of what you are buying, check for feedback, get a name, get a telephone number if possible, and always keep records of your deals. Make the seller give you a tracking number of some sort, and if possible, insurance.

Pay using paypal, or a postal money order if needed. Put signature delivery on a postal money order, so you know when the item was delivered and received.

If its too good to be true, it just might be. Buyer Beware.

BOTH PARTIES:

When money is received, let the buyer know in a timely manner when you plan on shipping and if you plan on shipping.

When the item is shipped, give a tracking number if possible so that you can both see where the item is in transit

Once you receive the item, inspect it immediately, and follow up if there are any missing items, or if everything was received as agreed.

Before "accusing" someone of something, check your emails and ensure that you got / sent everything that was agreed upon.

If all goes well.. post a positive review. If not.. try and resolve it before blasting on the boards.

... I probably forgot something... but at least this is a start....

Happy Buying/Selling/Trading.

Note: things happen to people. computers die. keyboards fail. bills don't get paid, packages fall out of cars and trucks... there are all sorts of possible reasons someone may not get back to you. Hopefully if you got a telephone number, that can be resolved ... oh and, the USPS can sometimes take up to 3 weeks to deliver a package 1 state away. Ahahaha.

whew..

there are a lot of good things to buy here... a big market to sell to... if you do it correctly, and in a timely manner... hobbytalk (and any other site) can be fun!

See less See more
#2 ·
all good info mits,, a few things to add that has made it easier for me anyways to deal with when shipping and some buyers/sellers dont even realize it but in paypal the seller has the option to directly ship in Paypal with USPS mail which is very cool because you get an email with tracking info and your able to go in your paypal account and track it aswell if you delete your email.

Another online shipping source is clicknship and also has an option for you to put the buyers email addy so they get a notice. Comunication is key to anything, keep it flowing and trading will be safe and not sorry......

thanks to this board I know alot of people are happy with my selling as I am happy with my purchases and have had no issues, knock on carbon fiber/G10--(sk cars) lol THanks Hobbytalk!!

#3 ·
hey bud,
i stickied your thread as it was a good post everyone should read!

one thing i wanted to ad about paypal is you can go into your account when you get money and are ready to ship you can print out your own label with them (if you know your package weight) and you will get free tracking which is very valuable if someone tries to scam the seller and say they didnt get there package.

also when you ask for pictures of what your buying, have the seller take a 'proof' shot which is a piece of paper with there forum name and date on it.
its kind of a hassle for the seller but its cheap insurance on big ticket items and if they dont want to do it then thats a sign to stay away.

be sure to look at a persons feedback profile and there is a great feedback system on Hobbytalk so use it. there is also a feedback site http://www.heatware.com on the web if you do buying or selling other then on here or also use it for Hobbytalk also. (you can never have to much feedback)

just use common sense,
think about what your doing,
dont rush into anything,
ask for help if you need it, (lots of great people here)

#7 ·
I have bought 2 r/c cars on here from the same guy.he had 1 feedback rate. i have none, he said he did not know how to place feedback for me. it would be nice to get it started,as we are here every day.
To leave feedback they just have to click on the feedback # by your name
Or they can click on there feedback # and see who left them feedback and use the leave feedback function there too

#9 ·
FYI:

Sellers, it's against PayPal rules to ask buyers to cover your fees outright.. simply figure them into your asking price if you want it covered... not that hard to do :)

Buyers, you're totally not protected if u pay as gift/owed by Paypal if the seller decides to pull a fast one...

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Just my two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.