Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems a lot of people don't know it, but front suspension springs and T-plates wear out. This can drasticly change the handling on your car (and you just thought it was your tuning skills going to pot!). If you run a pan car, be sure to check your front suspension springs every couple weeks. You'll find that they become "collapsed" after a dozen runs or so. T-plates should also be changed after 25 runs.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Spring steel doesnt really wear out.. they become tweaked.. every week after racing a steel t plate i take it off and lay it on a flat piece of glass. do it on both sides of the plate.. all it takes is a wreck, and they are tweaked..

ive also seen alot of them tweak very easily if you only run two screws.. running the third screw is key.. i have had a few that i ran two screws and the car worked awesome, tried 3 screws and the car stunk.. so i ran two and after racing the t plate was toast..

Ive even seen a handfull totally snap..

i only run fibergalss now.. big key to seee if they are wore out is the corners.. in back where the t plate bolts to the pod you can see the fiberglass start to get lighter.. these are stess marks..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Running a thin layer of CA around the edge of a fiberglass t plate will make it last longer. The fiberglass starts to delaminate at the cut edge unless you seal it.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
BAR 26 said:
so for a sprin steel, u run the center bolt or not?
I RECOMEND IT....:p

for the Ca comment i tried this for a while and noticed no difference in the life of the t plate. I tried it on a few diff types of t plates and fiberglass.. it also depends on how many runs are actually on a t plate.. . there basically cheap and made to wear out.. you can get 3 fiberglass t plates for every one steel..

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I took the spring steel T-plates out of both of my cars a few months ago, both were definately warped! Went to the stock fiber Hyperdrive T-plates and picked up a lap at my local flat asphalt track and the car seems to hook up better coming off the corners :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts