Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my eye on the Aoshima 1:12 unpainted power loader kit for some time. It seems to be in stock from Federation Models for $75.00. Can anybody help me with a few questions?

1. Has anyone built this thing?

2. What kind of plastic is it made of?

3. Is it snap-together?

4. Is it good quality and/or accurate?

5. Any other comments/complaints about the model or purchasing items through Federation? (I never dealt with Federation)

Thanks, gentlemen!:wave:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Is it a repop of the Halcyon kit? If so, it's pretty decent. The Ripley firgure doesn't fit in it very well.

Federation Models is always excellent to deal with. First class business.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Yeah, I think that's the Halcyon kit.
To answer your questions - it's made from regular ol' styrene, and it's not a snap-kit.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a "toy" on the Hot Toy website. It is a toy with quite a bit of assembly required. It runs about $250.00. Check out all the reviews of this on Youtube...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I want to say it probably is a Halcyon repop. Aoshima about ten years ago repopped some Halcyon kits such as the Alien3 and Alien Warrior kits. Then about 4 or 5 years ago
(guestimates) they repopped the Halcyon Powerloader and for some reason boxed it using the name SkyNet. I have both the original Halcyon and the Skynet kit and yes they are the same. I know the Skynet kit to be an Aoshima model because the instructions are in Japanese but it gives a contact of Aoshima.com.
I am glad I bought mine when I did.... 75.00 now! Yowsa!!!!!

Max Bryant

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
It's a nice build. Yes, it's styrene, yes, it's assembles well and, yes, it's pretty accurate. Hopefully, the kit still includes the metal grid (top of the cabin area) and the black plastic tubes. It's relatively easy to paint and cries out for weathering. I agree that the Ripley figure is not easy to fit but it's not impossible.

These days, $75 seems like a reasonable price.

Jim

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Can someone email or PM me for the build instructions PLEASE?
Mine are in Japanese. especially the black tubing lengths.:confused::)
Thanks,
-Jim

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info and pics, Gentlemen! I'm still deciding on the $75.00, though. But if I don't get it now, it will go the way of the dinos....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The Halcyon kit is a good basis for superdetailing and with some additional work builds into a great model.
Pay particular attention to filling in the recesses in the inside faces of the leg parts...these are a consequence of the injection process and shouldn't be there.
I opted to add the small nuts and metal sleeves at the end of each hydraulic hose. I also replaced all the hydraulic pistons with polished aluminium tube and repositioned one of the claws.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sun,
Impressive build. The best I've seen of this kit. How did you replicate the nut and coupling on the hydraulic hoses?
Rogue

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Sun,
Impressive build. The best I've seen of this kit. How did you replicate the nut and coupling on the hydraulic hoses?
Rogue
Probably "real" nuts.:thumbsup:
-Jim

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys....glad you like it.:)
The nuts are real steel nuts I got from a model engineering supplier...I think they are 16BA but I'm not certain as I built this about 15 years ago.
The sleeve behind the nut is a small piece of chrome tape wrapped around the hose. I replaced the locating pins for the hoses with brass rod and CA glued the hoses in place.
The harness was also replaced with belts made from lead foil and buckles which I etched myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey, just some slightly useless info, on why the figure doesn't look more like Sigourney Weaver.
From Deviantart.com

Artist's Comments
Hey folks-

This was a Sigourney as Ripley portrait that was rejected. Sometimes the licensing just won't allow a company (i.e. Sideshow) to use a likeness, and in this case, Sigourney Weaver doesn't allow her likeness to be used.

Every effort was made to get a likeness used for the recent power-loader diorama, but in the end you can't do it without permission. :)

I loved sculpting this mini Ripley, though! (the final changed version can be seen elsewhere in my gallery) So at the very least, it was an enjoyable thing to work on, even if we had to change it later.

Enjoy!
Trev

Sculpted in wax approx. 1/8 scale.

Robert-el

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Another bit of Sigourney trivia. Even though she was armed at the end of Aliens she does not advocate guns in any way. When Geometric did their licensed kit she would not allow it to be sold with a gun! That is why it has a motion tracker. Geometric was slick and sold an arm with a pulse rifle as an aftermarket accessory

Cheers
Max bryant

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I recall that whilst the actual figure wasn't a great likeness, the box art was. This was allowed by Weaver as she was allowed to insert a letter into the kit instructions highlighting the plight of mountain gorillas...I think a percentage from the profits of the kit may have been donated too.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, just some slightly useless info, on why the figure doesn't look more like Sigourney Weaver.
From Deviantart.com

Artist's Comments
Hey folks-

This was a Sigourney as Ripley portrait that was rejected. Sometimes the licensing just won't allow a company (i.e. Sideshow) to use a likeness, and in this case, Sigourney Weaver doesn't allow her likeness to be used.

Every effort was made to get a likeness used for the recent power-loader diorama, but in the end you can't do it without permission. :)

I loved sculpting this mini Ripley, though! (the final changed version can be seen elsewhere in my gallery) So at the very least, it was an enjoyable thing to work on, even if we had to change it later.

Enjoy!
Trev

Sculpted in wax approx. 1/8 scale.

Robert-el
You've got mad skills, my friend!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts