Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alclad II PALE GOLD

Has anyone used this color yet?

Is it cool ?
Is it neeto ?
like.....man..... WILL IT WORK for 3PO?

I have used the CHROME and golly! it's boss!!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I haven't used that Alclad colour yet, but I painted my 3P0 with a base coat of silver chrome with Tamiya clear yellow on top (Same for my Batman Type A utility belt). It gives a nice yeloow-gold look, and then for 3P0 I weathered him extensively.

Ross

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny....Thats exactly how I got the anodized ( spelling? ) blue look for R2's parts! a coat of silver with Tamiya clear blue over it!

But waz your gold look metalic enough?.....Thats why I'm not going to use the S&J stuff...nice but not metalic looking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats it?

Whats a GOOD metalic GOLD technique?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I have some of the Alclad Pale Gold, but I have yet to use it.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was alot of help :rolleyes: :p ;)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The pics of Threepio I've been looking at look as if the gold was applied very unevenly, yellow tinting over chrome. Could you do what Ross did with Alclads without losing the metallic finish?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's possible Jeff that it may depend on what your undercoat tone may be??

hmmmmmm.......I wonder.

I do know that MPC really messed up on 3PO's face....can you say MAGIC SCULPT?

Have you found any good STAR WARS droid references on the net?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I used the Art of Star Wars book as my reference for 3PO. For most of the movie, he had serious wear and tear, and on one lower leg the gold is mostly gone, showing the steel/dark aluminum underneath (The leg may have been a replacement part from another droid). For this reason, I painted him silver with clear yellow over top, so that I could control the 'density' of the gold colour (I think I used Tamiya Gold Leaf, too, to darken the colour). I heavily weathered the silver, though, so it's very dirty and dark.

Ross

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Ross!

Did you change 3PO's face at all?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I didn't have to, as the kit I was using was Screamin's 1/6 scale repackaging of Kaiyodo's. Incredibly accurate, and if you can find the Kaiyodo R2 kit, it's a fantastic pair.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are those in the same scale as the MPC droids?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Troy, I haven't checked the net yet, just started looking over pics a couple of weeks ago in between other stuff. Figured I wasn't ready to commit to starting yet. But check out your library for some of those oversized Star Wars books like the "Visual Dictionaries" and others, there are a few very large and clear shots to be had of both droids. Unfortunately, usually just one whole-body shot each of the front, no close-up details of Threepio's fingers or anything like that, but still good overall. Threepio's uneven plating really shows up in the "Star Wars Visual Dictionary" covering the OT.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Jeff!

I found a few good pics tonight on google.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The Kaiyodo kits were 1/6 scale; just from memory, I'm guessing that the MPC kits were almost the same, maybe 1/7 or 1/8 (I think their R2 was better in overall proportions than 3PO, who looked a little 'stumpy' to me).

Ross

1 - 17 of 17 Posts