Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though this isn't totally accurate, mainly as an 8'x6' table would be a bit much to lug around, this is 4'x 6' as it is. I went with as much as I could by studying Mark Lemons Alamo diorama.
My son is a huge Alamo fanatic, so I decided to build him this.
This is made with carved and engraved wood, 100 Imex Texans and roughly 200 Imex Mexicans. I still have dozens of more hours left on it before I am anywhere near done with it, though my son gets to use it for play in between my work times.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Wow!! My first playset as a kid was the MARX Alamo and this is 10 times better than that. Your son is very lucky. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zorro, I appreciate the kind words. I had and have my Marx Alamo and my son got a reissue one from me several years ago and he always said he wished he had one more like the real mission.
Sure feels good when you do something for someone and they have tears roll down their cheeks when they get it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm more used to building furniture...which requires far less aspirin intake to complete. :)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Yes Imex is model company and considering them being 1/72 in scale the detail is very good.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Great looking build. When I went to the 1:1 version, I was so surprised how small it actually was. Guess I was thinking it was going to be as big as the one John Wayne and Richard Widmark had to play with in the movie. :freak:

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I haven't had the chance to actually get to San Antonio to see her yet but hopefully that day will arrive sooner then later.
It's really a shame that most of such an important historical site is buried under roads and buildings. Its a disgrace to the memory of the men who died there, and those that may have surrendered, if some people are correct.
Maybe someday enough people in Texas will demand it be reclaimed. At least some are trying and I back them 100%.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Have you checked out all of the Alamo stuff offered by Classic Toy Soldiers? They have repops of the old Marx figures, accessories, etc. You can get things like furniture, scaling ladders, even scenery.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have actually bought a lot of things from them for the Marx sets we have.
At some point I am thinking of making the chapel in that scale as well, which means it would actually be really, really big, though much easier to detail. :)
At 1/72 scale the chapel is in the area of 11" x 16" and Marx is around 1/35.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Oh somehow I thought this was 1/32 scale... Imex makes 1/32 figures as well.

FYI you can use French Napoleonic Light and Line infantry for the Mexicans... The uniforms are very similar especially in 1/72.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shhhh.......if my son hears that, that would be more itsy bitsy guys to paint! ;)

Thanks for the info, I really may look into that so he has a bigger lot of poses and it helps keep the aspirin companies in business.

·
Registered
51 Posts
While my father was stationed in Texas at Bergstrom AFB in Austin from '76-'80, He took me down there to see it. While my mind saw the area as seen in the movies, it didn't look that way after the city grew all around it. Darn shame they couldn't have left some land around it to give it a sence of real scale and understanding as to what transpired there. Your diorama does that very well. Great job!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the kind words. I still think if the Alamo is so sacred to San Antonio most of it wouldn't be under the Avenue out in front of the chapel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I lived in Texas most of my life and served in the military for 17 years. I was fortunate to visit the Alamo a few times. I am not aware of anything being buried underneath the city, everything is available for the public to view, "The Alamo", the Soldier Quarters, the Church and ground including all of the cannons used in the last stand. In the Historical Museum they have the Jim Bowie knife and the States Flags representing of all the Soldiers that died there. I am not sure exactly what you might be refering to that may be buried there

1 - 20 of 27 Posts