Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just found a brand new Paasche model "VL" airbrush for $15.00 at a yard sale. It has all the parts and hose, and has never been taken out of the package. I went ahead and bought it.

I just wanted to know if anybody else has this airbrush, and if it is a good one. I always thught that Paasche and Badger were supposed to be the best. :wave:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I would not have passed it up either. Do you already have a compressor? I don't recommend the compressed air cans that they have at craft and art shops - as the gas decompresses, the cans get very cold and lose pressure rapidly...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Paasche is an excellent, sturdy airbrush. I used them for years, although I'm using an Aztek now. I still have my old Paasche as a back up, though. $15 is an excellent price!

-Cappy D

·
Registered
114 Posts
MangoMan said:
I wouldn't pass it up for $15, but I still think Iwata's the best.
Sorry MangoMan but I have to disagree! :(

I bought a single action Iwata and had nothing but trouble with it. Even on sale it was expensive. I had problems finding replacement parts. And when I did they where expensive! The only reason I bought it was the airbrush store I usually deal with had closed up and was planning to reopen, on-line, in a couple months. So I was unable to get a hold of her until she finally posted a web page SEVERAL months later.

She LOVES Paasche and had stopped dealing with Iwata due to the high costs and constant re-supply difficulties. She told me that when they first came out they where the "Cadillac" of airbrushes. But over the years, she believes, the quality dropped and now you pay for the name.

I finally got rid of my Iwata and hose (had a yard sale and got $35.00 for it, cost me $80, plus $40 for the hose) and replaced it with a Paasche "H" single action. Box set came with EVERYTHING, including 3 different nozzles. A #1, a #3 and a #5, this one should be great for larger jobs (NX-01, C-57 and the like).

Hi MartinHatfield, as far as I know all the Paasche airbrushes are good, reliable work horses. I have never had any serious problems with any of them. Nor any of the people I know who own them!

I have never used one but the "VL" looks like a nice double action airbrush. I would not hesitated to pay such a low price for one, anywhere!

I have had a Paasche "Millennium" double action since it first came onto the market...FANTASTIC AIRBRUSH! :thumbsup: I would never part with it! If your "VL" works half as good as my "Millennium" you will love it too!

In my opinion the Badger airbrushes are great when you start modeling as a kid. They are inexpensive and straightforward. I had one myself many, many, many…moons ago. The only drawback I found was constantly buying those silly cans of air. I was told an old car inner tube works great, but where could a 10-year-old find one?

When I got older the first "professional" airbrush I bought was a Badger. Took it back within a couple days and have never touched another one since!

If you can afford it I would advise buying a good compressor designed for airbrushes. They are expensive but are a lot QUIETER then the inexpensive garage compressors. If you live alone or have an area that can be semi soundproofed then they work great. Just remember to get some earplugs.

Hope this was helpful. Later, Petseal :wave:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry, I should mention that the amounts marked in my last post are Canadian dollars. Hope I did not confuse anyone! :freak:

Later, Petseal :wave:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
A Paasche VL for $15.00 is a hell of a deal. You done good. My VL has been with me for nearly 30 years. It's my main brush to spray with. Very reliable, easy to clean and repair when needed. I'm a big fan of Paasche airbrushes.
Though I also like my little Iwata for fine detail work.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I myself have had mostly Badger airbrushes. Had the old blue with the bottle under it to begin with (and still have it someplace) Then I picked up a Paache didn't really like it. Finally bought a Badger 100-LGXF with the large cup on the top of it. I had to dom a little modding to the cup and opened up the opening into the body of the brush for better paint flow and cleaning. I love this airbrush. Can do large areas with the large cup and it uses all the paint up.
The other nice thing is that if you only need a tiny spot you can put just a drop of paint in the bottom of the cup and flow it to the nozzle. It was always easy to use and clean up. I used it to paint several hundred 1/285th scale micro armor WW2 German tanks. With special formed masks I made it was possible to mass paint even the spotted tan/brown/green paint schemes as well as the striped versions. All the tanks and other armor turned out great. The schemes always showed all the miniature detail, and had the slightly soft edges and of course no brush strokes.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
The brand doesn't matter as much as the skill of the operator. Practice and experience is the key. Clean it thoroughly after use. :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
petseal said:
Sorry MangoMan but I have to disagree! :(

Well, you're certainly within your rights to disagree, but my little Eclipse runs circles around the Paasche I had. I can do different sized lines and patterns without ever having to change needles, and it doesn't clog every 30 seconds. Plus, Dixie Art is right down the street from me, so if I ever need a replacement part (which I have a total number of once, when I was stupid enough to lose a nozzle) I just run down to them. Even if I lived somewhere else, Dixie Art can get parts to you fast and cheap.

But to each their own!

Again, for $15, GO GRAB IT NOW!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts