Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what air brush everybody uses and which do you think are fairly decent to use on scale models.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think I need to buy more airbrushes, I think they are collectable things to be cherished...at the moment I have,

Paasche F1 - cheap, simple, does the job, easy to service
Paasche VLS - with a large bottle attached and large nozzle, covers quite well.
Iwaata HPB plus - darn this is a fine tool, but it's so good I prefer to see it clean and polished in my display cabinet than actually being used! Only really suitable for fine detail, not great coverage

I use spray (rattle) cans for primers, large matt areas or to obtain pristine gloss on car body shells for example.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I started out on a Wal-Mart cheapy Aztec paintbrush. I've also got two Paasche airbrushes I inherited from my grandfather, who used to do airbrush work on vehicles.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, I just use a cheapy testors airbrush that I got at Walmart, but was thinking of getting a new one.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Can't go wrong with an Iwata. I've got a Revolution (CR) for general purpose painting (base coats, etc) ann an Eclipse (CS) for pre-shading and detail work. Pratically indestructable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think it really depends on what you are using it for and the quality and the price tag your looking for. I got a double action airbrush and that gives me more control over the amount of paint I want to release as well there is a dial I can turn to adjust the amount of air I release. The only drawback to a double action airbrush is it's more matinace to clean it. It really does a superior paint job than my room mates basic Aztec airbrush.

If your new to airbrushing I also recommend an air compressor with a tank. For your compressor I seriously recommend a water trap and if you are using this indoors get a proper filter mask.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think it really depends on what you are using it for and the quality and the price tag your looking for. I got a double action airbrush and that gives me more control over the amount of paint I want to release as well there is a dial I can turn to adjust the amount of air I release. The only drawback to a double action airbrush is it's more matinace to clean it. It really does a superior paint job than my room mates basic Aztec airbrush.
What brand air brush is that Canoehead? I use to have an air compressor, but I sold it, because I never used it. Now that I have been modeling I kind of need it... it is getting annoying using the airbrush propellant cans, they go very fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts