1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Got one of those Airbrush Kits (w/Compressor w/tank) and it has one of
those quick connect/disconnect fittings. On the fitting is a little screw knob
to turn off the air so you can disconnect the brush from the hose.
You guys will know what I mean.

I was trying to use that little screw knob to adjust the pressure but it seems
to be pretty well all or nothing. Can't seem to adjust it slightly.

Is there such a thing as a regulator that you can attach near the airbrush
to adjust the pressure? Looking for one where I can slightly adjust the
pressure up or down just a bit at a time. The one on the compressor doesn't
seem to be delicate enough.

Searched but keep coming up with the quick connect/disconnect results.

Thanks,

James

James D. Farrow
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

"No more trains will be sold once the magazine leaves the station"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you search for an in line device?

What brand did you get?

:lurk5:
It's a Vivohome airbrush with one of those Chinese compressors with tank.
The brand name is irrelevant. They are made by the same manufacturer
and whichever company buys them slaps their name on them.
Different names, same compressor and airbrush. Works fine for me.
Was only $100.00 CDN. 1/4" fittings at airbrush. Don't know it the
compressor fitting is the same.

Don't know what an in line device is.

James

James D. Farrow
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

"No more trains will be sold once the magazine leaves the station"

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
Then show us a photo of the actual model you got and we can see if there is an adjustor included already....

You can also google inline regulator and you might be able to see if one is already included with your kit or what is available to purchase from either the company who 'sells' your kit or a simple brass inline regulator from Harbor Freight....

In the end, the air gun itself is an 'end of the line' regulator already and when you pull the trigger may already regulate how much air is released depending on how far back the trigger is pulled. Or like your current knob is just on or off as well.

Some air guns have an adjustment knob built in as well...

Since we dont know what brand or model you have we would be just guessing otherwise....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one comes with 3 airbrushes.
I got the one with 1 airbrush.
Not listed anymore but it's the same as this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0796M9QVJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I did some more searching and found quite a few regulators but are all 1/4" fittings.
Some reviews say you can use it inline but kind of bulky.

I don't think I am looking for something out of the ordinary so it's odd I can't
find one. You figure a lot of people would want something that you can adjust
the pressure at the airbrush instead of going back to the compressor all the time.

James

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
Visually the black knob above the red ring is the regulator adjustment device you are looking for. Pull up on it and then turn to adjust. Pushing it back down will lock it in place.

It also looks like there is a pressure guage on the back side (that faces up). You would adjust the black knob to get the desired max pressure and then use the air brush trigger (each of the 3 shown in the other photos has a finer adjustment knob on them). If you have one of those you should be able to make an adjustment without going back to the compressor itself.

(BTW - The red ring looks like it is loose in the first web page photo.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Visually the black knob above the red ring is the regulator adjustment device you are looking for. Pull up on it and then turn to adjust. Pushing it back down will lock it in place.

It also looks like there is a pressure guage on the back side (that faces up). You would adjust the black knob to get the desired max pressure and then use the air brush trigger (each of the 3 shown in the other photos has a finer adjustment knob on them). If you have one of those you should be able to make an adjustment without going back to the compressor itself.

(BTW - The red ring looks like it is loose in the first web page photo.)
Sorry, gave the wrong link. The one I bought has a tank with it underneath.

The same as this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/ABEST-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSH-Compressor-AS186K30/dp/B07LGL8YFQ/ref=pd_sbs_79_13?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07LGL8YFQ&pd_rd_r=ce20053c-67a6-4731-b196-ca342f7c3121&pd_rd_w=6izWs&pd_rd_wg=5Ntzk&pf_rd_p=c7838c3c-6de6-46ad-946c-b7318af714fb&pf_rd_r=CGTPTW3Z2TC1T6S030ZF&psc=1&refRID=CGTPTW3Z2TC1T6S030ZF

It's a different brand name but it's exactly the same.

Anyway, I know how to set the regulator on the compressor.
Was just looking for another one to put near the airbrush so
I can adjust it more delicately. May look at one of the 1/4" fittings
one and get a couple of 1/8 to 1/4 adapter fittings to make it fit.

James

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
So in your original post what little screw knob are you referencing in either of the ones you posted an image of?

I still will go with the knob on the air brush directly above where the air hose connects should do what you are wanting.

But otherwise go back to an inline regulator or get a shorter hose so that the compressor regulator is within your reach....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So in your original post what little screw knob are you referencing in either of the ones you posted an image of?

I still will go with the knob on the air brush directly above where the air hose connects should do what you are wanting.

But otherwise go back to an inline regulator or get a shorter hose so that the compressor regulator is within your reach....
The little knob (like a screw) I referred to is on the quick connect/disconnect fitting I got
that fits between the airbrush and the hose.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00XMCBSF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You are supposed to be able to adjust the air pressure with it but it seems, as you turn it, not very
accurate. As you turn it, it starts to lower the pressure but then closes completely. It's very loose fitting and extremely easy to turn. I swear you just look at it and it turns. LOL!

Anyway, have been looking at regulators and getting even more confused. BPS VS NPT threads,
etc.

James

·
Registered
270 Posts
Without seeing the instructions I would guess the screw adjustment is a shut-off valve in order to switch airbrushes. You can't regulate ANY pressure with some kind of needle valve. I've used needle valves to restrict the amount of volume with a fixed pressure over short pulses. But in order to regulate there needs to be some type of sensing in order to adjust.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without seeing the instructions I would guess the screw adjustment is a shut-off valve in order to switch airbrushes. You can't regulate ANY pressure with some kind of needle valve. I've used needle valves to restrict the amount of volume with a fixed pressure over short pulses. But in order to regulate there needs to be some type of sensing in order to adjust.
You don't have to close it to switch out airbrushes. It's a quick connect/disconnect fitting.
Comes in two parts. Pops on, Pops off.
You pull the little sleeve on one part down and it pops off the part that connects to the airbrush.
You have to hold on to it though as it does give a blast of air then seals shut. If you don't the hose
can whip out of your hand. LOL!

They sell both types. The connect/disconnect fitting by itself, or the one that includes
the little screw regulator.

James

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
How much pressure adjustment range do you want this item to be able to do? :lurk5:

It sounds more like you need to be looking at professional grade automotive air guns where you can adjust both the paint and air supply and not an art/craft sized air brush that may only have a single trigger, with/or at most an air adjustment valve.

You may need to change internal needle valves (if you can). Though most air brush makers do not sell or recommend the end user do this. And prefer to sell you the additional air brushes with differing internal needle valves.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much pressure adjustment range do you want this item to be able to do? :lurk5:

It sounds more like you need to be looking at professional grade automotive air guns where you can adjust both the paint and air supply and not an art/craft sized air brush that may only have a single trigger, with/or at most an air adjustment valve.

You may need to change internal needle valves (if you can). Though most air brush makers do not sell or recommend the end user do this. And prefer to sell you the additional air brushes with differing internal needle valves.
I just wanted something to adjust the pressure near the airbrush.
I think I will give up anyway.

Found one that looks o.k.. Good reviews. It has two 1/4" NPT female fittings.
Most of them do.

The airbrush has a male fitting so need an adapter:
1/8" BSP female to 1/4" NPT male. - lots of those around.

My hose ends with a female fitting so need an adapter:
1/8" BSP male to 1/4" NPT male - Can't find one of those. Don't think they exist. LOL!

James

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
Did you consider getting another hose and moving the regulator valve to be desk or wall mounted nearer to where you will be using the air brush. Some people also build a PVC pipe system if the distance is longer back to the compressor location from their work area.

If you leave the regulator valve in the unlocked position then you would be able adjust the presure as you want to and also have the needle valve to monitor the change on the fly.

:cheers2:

·
Registered
270 Posts
You don't have to close it to switch out airbrushes. It's a quick connect/disconnect fitting.
Comes in two parts. Pops on, Pops off.
You pull the little sleeve on one part down and it pops off the part that connects to the airbrush.
You have to hold on to it though as it does give a blast of air then seals shut. If you don't the hose
can whip out of your hand. LOL!

They sell both types. The connect/disconnect fitting by itself, or the one that includes
the little screw regulator.

James
That was the point, if that screw is a shut-off valve to prevent that. That screw would be more of a "flow restricter" than regulator. A regulator Requires Input, Output and Sense. Without that shut-off valve you would need to shut off the compressor. Myself, I don't see the issue with that.

You seem to want a very precise pressure setting. I don't see why that's necessary. I find paint mixture is more important.

·
Registered
616 Posts
X2 post #15.......................didn't we go through this same conversation or close to it a couple years ago? The answer is still the same, the screw is NOT a regulator and never will be, it's a simple on or off switch to not lose compressor air while changing brushes with the disconnect. If you try to regulate with it you will find you have no range, any restriction small enough to limit flow will have the brush run out of air as the needle is opened up, it is WAY too small.

The regulator stays on compressor because if at the brush the brush would quickly be too heavy in use and you would lose the fine control a lightweight brush by itself has and why they are built with no regulator on them.

You regulate pressure down to a ballpark number at compressor and then the amount you open the needle regulates the rest, you regulate on the fly by spraying. You always work down when regulating pressure in steps, if you use the on/off screw to regulate you may well cut too far and it is impossible to increase flow once it has been cut down, your brush trigger will not meter right. OP has already found that out. You CANNOT regulate simply using a cutoff screw, it requires sensing to compensate, the screw cannot do it.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,123 Posts

·
BANNED
7,652 Posts
as finaprint said, having a pressure regulator attached directly to the air brush would make it unwieldy and awkward (maybe impossible) to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts