Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my 1st airbrush. I am not new to using an airbrush, but I dont know much about them specificly. I will be painting 1/18 Diecast mainly. Some of which will be with Dupont automotive paint. (since I cant get certain colors elsewhere). What brush would be good for me to get. I was thinking of an Iwata, but I wanted to check with you guys first. If so what model will fit my needs? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
walmart sells a compressor with brush for around 50 to 60 bucks. it can be found in the model section. i dont think it will do flames and such but looks like a good one for body spraying. i bought one but have not tryed it out yet. i mainly wanted the compressor because it runs quiet and is small. its worth checking out. i also have a good pashsay doubble action gunn and picked up 2 guns from big lots for 7 bucks each.
one day i will hook them up. sorry i cant help out on whats the best to use. i figured i would give ya a lil info.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Iwata or Badger works good for me.

I haven't used the one Gunn describes yet but will probably open it up to see how it works.

from what I've heard,the aerosol airbrushes aren't that great because the airpressure lowers, as the can depletes.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
If you are thinking of an Iwata think no more. They are the best brushes out their at this point. All you need to nail down is whether or not you want to go wtih double action, single action, siphon feed or gravity feed.

I personnally use a Badger 175 Crescendo double action siphon feed. It works great, comes with three different tips and has a metal body and to me, is easy to clean.
I've heard single actions are much easier to clean since it doesn't go through as much of the brush.

I have found that most people who pick up a brush for the first time usually fall in love with that. Meaning if you bought a double action you'll learn it much better therefore making a single action a little tougher to work with or vice versa.

IF you need more info I would be more than happy to help. I plan on picking up an Iwata this spring for flame jobs and special work. My Badger 175 is my workhorse.
If you are familiar with Mike Lavelle, he is the creator of the real flame phenom right now. He uses an Iwata.

I would stay away from the testors stuff if you already know how to air-brush. I usually recommend that for first timers to get their feet wet and learn. This way they don't spend too much money right off the bat and can get an idea of what is involved before they drop some real coin on a quality air-brush.

I would also recommend a quality compressor. You can pick up a decent C/H compressor from the mart store. Make sure it has a pressure regulator and water trap. These two things are vital for your work. If you plan on working late at night while the family is sleeping I would recommend a silent/aire or Iwata hobby compressor. These are auto shutoff, have no air(holding)tank, come with all the items you'll need (regualtor/trap) and are super quiet. The only problem is these are expensive. What you are paying for is the silence.

To get some good pricing hit www.bearair.com
They have some great info on their site that will help tremendously with your decision.

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I actually bought the Testors Mighty Mini compressor and airbrush set (about $60). When I got it, I didn't have any control over airflow. But, I accidentally dropped it and broke the finger button. Now, oddly, it works great with nice air flow control! :p It's just a cheap airbrush, but I'm only a hobbiest, so it works great for me.

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
i have pretty good luck with the badger 200 deluxe,i also use a testors that has the bottles ya screw up to adjust the flow.i use it mainley to spray primers and the top coats.theyre both single actions.hope this helps ttfn johnny :cool:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
wow...a question I can actually answer.
or at least chime in with my two cents.
Being a model builder for most of my life, I certainly have shot alot of paint.
'Paasche' is a good brand, and I have used a 'Binks' model too.
right now I'm shooting with a Testors Aztek model, and a little compressor,
it works terrific.
I have never shot an 'Iwata' airbrush, but have seen nice work that has been done with one.
A relative of mine came out to Montana to visit me, and after looking at some of my work, He tells me he is working for Testors in Rockford Illinois.
Next thing you know I got Airbrushes (plural), compressors and paint arriving in the mail. pretty wild. My painting supply inventory has suddenly caught up with the massive backlog of unbuilt kits in my toyroom.:)

The most important thing I have learned about shooting with an airbrush is to practice,practice, practice.

Chuck.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I started withan Aztek, ok for a beginner, but not a quality brush by any means. Then I stepped up to a Paasche VL dual action, it worked very well for quite a while, but when it recently started giving me trouble, I decided to go with an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, which is also dual action, that is by far the nicest brush I have owned to date! I prefer a dual action over single action because you can control both the air flow and paint flow independantly, imo you can achieve a much better results with a dual action brush. If it fits in your budget I would definately recommend the Iwata.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts