Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother gave me a Paasche VLS dual action airbrush that he had for years but never used.

I have used it--successfully--but find that its spray pattern is too large for fine work. It is my understanding that, in order to get a finer spray, I need to change the tip.

The kit instructions refer to Size 1 (.022 in), Size 3 (.029 in), and Size 5 (.042 in) tips, but the brush only came with one tip (but 2 needles).

Q1: How can I tell which tip I currently have?

Q2: Where can I get the other tips I need and how much are they likely to cost me?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My first airbrush was a Paasche VL. It's in a a drawer now, collecting dust, but is was a pretty good starter airbrush. As for which needle is installed, the air cap and needle should be engraved with a number, 1, 3, or 5. In order to change sizes, there are 3 components - the air cap, the tip, and the needle.

The air cap is the part at the very front of the airbrush, the outer part that should screw off easily. Behind the air cap is another part that screws off, but you will likely need a wrench to get this part off, which you will have to do to get access to the tip. The needle will get removed from the rear. Unscrew the rear plastic piece. At the very back will be a small nut the holds the needle in place. Remove it first, then simply pull the needle back. I don't know if you needed all this info, but if your brother didn't give you the manual with the airbrush, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Lucky for you, the VL and VLS airbrushes are very common, so parts should be easy to find and cheap. I just checked the Coast Airbrush website, and the 3 parts you need are only 9 bucks. Of course, shipping will probably cost that much, too! If you have any art supply stores in your area, go check them out. A lot of art stores have a selection airbrushes, parts, and supplies. If your local art store does have an airbrush section, and because these models are so common, you may find what you need there. Otherwise, take it to the internet. A quick Google search should turn up a number of online retailers that stock parts for this airbrush. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hobby Lobby has the parts most of the time.
The 1 size sprays a pattern about the size of a dime.
The problem with the VL series is the underneath cup design. It takes a lot of pressure to get the paint up and out. You can thin to use less pressure.
I use my VL for large area coverage & a Sotar 20/20 for small detail.
If you need detail coverage get a Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon online & pick up a detail brush from a store.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah! There's the "3". I looked for some identifier like that, but was looking on the wrong part. Thanks!

This is all good information...! Thank you very much.

(I got the instructions for this brush off the Internet but they are really pathetic. They don't tell you much of anything.)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question...I have been able to take the brush entirely apart except for the needle itself...it won't come out! I must be missing something.

I removed the aircap, aircap body, and tip from the front and the locknut, needle adjusting sleevele, spring, and rocker assembly from the rear. At this point, you would think the needle would just slide out--but it doesn't budge. What am I missing...?

·
Registered
325 Posts
WEll, it means your needle is stuck, more than likely dried paint. There is only a single nut on the back holding the needle in place. Sounds like it'll need a soak and cleaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like you have everything loose.
It's stuck. Soak it in hot water then work it out. When an airbrush is not cleaned this happens. Spraying water or thinner through the airbrush is not cleaning.
I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean mine. It works great & I even use automotive paints. Harbor Freight for ultrasonic cleaner.
I go through airbrushes so at times I purchase cheap ones, the automotive paints & clears destroy seals, Ebay is the best place to find these. I recently got a .2 micro air control brush from China for $35 delivered & it sprays as tight as my Sotar 20/20.
Go to Ebay & type micro airbrush.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys were right. Knowing that it should slide gave me the confidence to apply just a little more pressure and--voila!--it popped out. There was a tiny bit of gunk on the shaft (easily cleaned) and it now slides as it should.

Derric1968, I found the parts where you indicated. Not a bad price and--now that I know how to swap all those parts out--I think I'll spend the $10 and see what I can do with a finer tip.

Thanks to all of you. I've learned a lot just in the space of an afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts