Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy one; any recommendations on a brand? I'd like one that's fairly quiet, and has a nice range of pressure settings (particularly on the low end for light misting). Thanks, ya'll.:wave:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I just got one from Home Depot over the holidays. It was a 2 gallon compressor with a water trap and regulator. It also came with lots of attachments like a stapler/brad nailer , and a tire inflator and a siphon. $79. Husky brand

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I just got one from Home Depot over the holidays. It was a 2 gallon compressor with a water trap and regulator. It also came with lots of attachments like a stapler/brad nailer , and a tire inflator and a siphon. $79. Husky brand
Is it fairly quiet? I had mine die this week and picked up a $100 one on sale at Sears tonight but haven't taken it out of the box since I am not sure that it might be too loud. It is a 4 gallon so it shouldn't come on too often. But a quieter one would be nicer. I could go to HD and get one of those though and I do need to add the water trap to the Sears.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use the Paasche D Compressor I bought 25 years ago!

I once purchased a new compressor at Sam's Club because it had a resevoire tank.

It is so loud I couldn't stand to use it even though it shut off once filled. It was like standing next to a machine gun on the firing range! No way I could use that in the house at night and not wake up everyone. So I went back to my Paasche D. The loud compressor is now in the garage and used for tire and pool toy inflation. I then purchased a 5 gal. portable tank and rigged it for airbrushing. Once filled with the loud compressor it was brought inside. I would not get a full session out of it before I ran out of air and had to go refill it. So back to my Paasche I went.

I now have a compressor I bought on sale at Harbor Freight. It does not have a tank but is relatively quiet. No louder really than my Paasche and it is pretty quiete.
The Harbor Freight one looks exactly like the Iwata compressors.

Check them out here. they sell two others like this as well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403

Max Bryant

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got a walmart(campbell) one I use, have a stupid lil paasche one that is whisper quiet but wont hold a consistant pressure worth crap over 15. just get a 2 gallon or up. dont know if its a D model max not tryin to talk smack but it is horrible. I will look

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i used to teach airbrushing at micheals. the students often brought in harbor freight airbrushes and compressors. every single one ogf them was a chinese knockoff of a name brand and was, without exception, JUNK.

for a good compressor at a decent price, try a big box hardware store. if noise is a consideration, ask to have it turned on so that you can hear it.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
That Silente-Air looks nice but definitely pricey. Maybe someday.

I bought a Sears shop type last night on sale for $100 but before pulling it out of the box I decided to look at the electrical part of mine that just died. When I opened it up I found one of the three leads through the rocker switch had apparently gotten heated and popped off which also shorted something and blew a fuse. Well a trip to Ace Hardware and a new fuse and electrical connector and I am back in business. The Sears unit is going back to Sears. And looking at it and the larger Sears I have in the garage I can bet it would have been quite loud. My current repaired isn't hardly quiet but that Sears in the garage is way up there in decibels. My repaired compressor isn't that old, maybe 3 or so, and doesn't get heavy use so I was a bit surprised it had died on me. Nice to get it running again for minimal cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts