Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if this is good deal and a good starter kit? Will be using to Clear Coat 1/24 scale diecast. Also how low should humidity be in order to Airbrush outside? Thanks for any help ya'll can give me. Heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8130226741&fromMakeTrack=true[/URL]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will try, I really do not want to bum anybody out. First is this your first air brush? If so consider this. It looks like a generic Badger, it is made mostly of plastic and will not take much pressure. It doesn't (won't) age well also if you are planning to run anything other than acrylic or watercolors through it, you will destroy it right away. One reason is the needed thinners wreck the plastic parts quickly and kill the performance of that particular model.

Realistically it is a "good deal" back in the day I paid $300.00 just for my compressor. It is a good learning model, but not for modeling. I had an identical air brush it was my first and I used it to death. I never ran model paints or any non water based media through it.

Still I would shop around. They sell reasonable compressors and regulators at main stream "depot" or home renovation outlets if you get one with a holding tank you will be WAAAAAAY better off in the long run trust me. Look for air brush models with metal parts and read carefully they will state what kinds of paints they recommend for use. Also watch that air pressure you will blow the guts out of a good airbrush if you are not carefull. I want to avoid any Issues with store names or product recommendations here.

Unless it is ok to make suggestions. PM me if you want.

Jupiter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please make suggestions. Sounds like might save me some money and headaches. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
ok suggestions:
1.) ignore the auction you linked to. looks like "no-nameo" stuff to me, probably junk.

2. for your compressor: try a "big box" hardwarwe store (sears, home despot, lowe's). you can get a decent small model with a tank (important) for between $150 - $200. DO NOT BUY campbell hausfields bottom of the line tank model. you want the highest cfm rate you can afford and a compressor rating of 3. (i really dont like the little "putt-putt" compressors like the one pictured in the ad.... overpriced and underpowered... as well as inconsistant flow)

3.) for a single action airbrush like the one pictured you want either a badger or a paasche (i prefer the latter). you can get the entire kit for under $50. pay attention to the contents of the kit! both brands carry a few different levels of kit for the same airbrush. you dont need the one that comes with the propellant can, for example, cause youre going to be getting a compressor). you want a kit with all 3 tip sizes, a number of jars and color cups, and a cloth hose.

the one pictured in the ad is a rip-off of a badger. i prefer the paasche because the body is bigger and easier to handle for me. if you have smaller hands you might want to go with the badger instead.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
razorwyre1 said:
DO NOT BUY campbell hausfields bottom of the line tank model.
I got my little 2-gallon Campbell Hausfeld "bottom of the line" Quiet-Air compressor at Wally World for just under $100, and it's worked without a single hiccup for over 3 years. It'll fill to 100 cf in less than a minute, and starts refilling when you hit 60, so I've never lost constant pressure. It happily does everything from airbrushing to filling the tires on my SUV.

Other than that, I think your suggestions were right on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
There you go paasche, is my choice double action is great, single action is like using spray paint. I prefer more control. I agree with the other posts about the compressor but don't for get an in line filter if your compressor has a tank. There is nothing worse than a wad of disgusting water barreling through and spattering your work.

Jupiter

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Jupiter said:
There you go paasche, is my choice double action is great, single action is like using spray paint. I prefer more control. I agree with the other posts about the compressor but don't for get an in line filter if your compressor has a tank. There is nothing worse than a wad of disgusting water barreling through and spattering your work.

Jupiter
um like spray paint?... it depends on how you use it .. the attached images are of bowling shirts done with my paasche h sigle action

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts