Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK aggressor gurus... I am an old schooler....I see all these holes for adjustment and its making my head spin...

The instructions are lacking in that they only show 1 way to build the car...they dont explain at all what to do with offset t-palte or anything like that...

My question is I have a spring steel offset t-plate... I want to run that>>but I want to run the pod on center... So Aside from bolting the offset t-plate on do I need to move ANY of the other mounts on the car>>>like shock mounts or rear end mounts...By that I mean basically all the rear pieces have 2 sets of holes...I assume they are for moving the POD off center...if thats correct then if I run the offset t-plate do I leave everything else in the rear set up like the instructions say to do???

Also in reguards to the front end set up and rear axle setup with offset t-plate...??? when I do this I assume that I would need to adjust the front end to be equaldistant from the centerline of the car?? also sould I be running different axle spacers to center up the rear tires???

Sorry if these questions sound stupid..I have not assembled the kit yet..I plan to build tonight...I wanted to start with offset t-plate but the instructions dont really mention anything about it.. I just dont want to screw it up...

TIA
Kenwood

·
Registered
659 Posts
Kenwood, If your usuing the offset T-Plate and pod in normal position. Then yes yru correct. Mount the T-plate on the left, and the pod it self is in regular position. as for the center shock. I'm not sure look at where it falls to the pod. THen put it where it lines up. I built mine and ran it for the first time last night. I have it offset pod, offset T-Plate and rear steer in it. Ran pretty good. As for other adjustments. I'm not sure. Your right the directions should have had another section to change some things and let you know how and what it would do. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

Since I have yet to do anything other than seal the chassis I figured that as I assemble the car it will become obvious what to do...

I just found it ackward that things like offset pod and offset plate are not really mentioned AT ALL>>> basically I saw one NOTE: that basically said This is assuming you are running the on center pod..

I just found the directions to be slightly disappointing compared to the directions and set up configurations given on CW dirt cars..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Kenwood,

I have been building mine over the weekend. There are 2 sets of holes on the side shock cross brace. use the set of holes that moves the cross brace furthest to the left when using the offset T-plate. so far, i have been amazed at how close the locations on everything are. i.e. on the side shocks, I did just like the instrustions said for the ball cups, and only had to adjust each one from 3.19" to 3.175 to get max throw w/o overextending or bottoming out. i was amazed! also, i used the number 1 ride height adjuster, upside down (the # 3 they suggest in the kit is too much ride height for carpet, IMO) and popped both sides in w/ bearings...perfect fit! then i slid the axle thru. it was a little tight going thru the first bearing. i mic'd the axle at .2501, which is a little big (not a fault of custom works, since i am assuming the axle was a purchased part). i took some 1500 grit to it, and carefully sanded it down to .2493. then, it dropped thru the bearings! i have never had that happen w/o a ton of time spent reaming/filing on the ride height adapters...very impressed! all the machined parts appear to be within +/- .0005, which is extremely good. very happy so far

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool But what about the mounts on the top piece of graphite on the pod that the cups clip onto...do those move as well??? Like I said Im sure Ill figure it out but I like to walk through the instructions and understand the impact of what Im doing before I get started...

I found the quality of the kit to be great...Really so far my only complaint was the instructions not having an optional set up instruction list for off center pod or off center t-plate...and then no decals.. ;( >>>> however in the grand scheme of things those issues are very very minor... Im just sitting here chomping at the bit to get this thing done and go racing.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Offset t-plate / on-center pod ... pictures

Kenwood said:
Cool But what about the mounts on the top piece of graphite on the pod that the cups clip onto...do those move as well??? Like I said Im sure Ill figure it out but I like to walk through the instructions and understand the impact of what Im doing before I get started...

I found the quality of the kit to be great...Really so far my only complaint was the instructions not having an optional set up instruction list for off center pod or off center t-plate...and then no decals.. ;( >>>> however in the grand scheme of things those issues are very very minor... Im just sitting here chomping at the bit to get this thing done and go racing.. :thumbsup:
I run my car with offset t-plate and on-center pod, here are some pics (heavy files, be patient).

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tqcells/images/

Steve Salvas
Team CW

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you are looking from rear to front, mount the shock mount plate in the left set of holes for the offset T-plate option. I built mine over the weekend & let me tell you, the fit & quality are second to none. I'll run it for the first time this weekend!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kenwood: We will be adding pictures and instructions on how to offset the t-plate and/or pod. Looking thru the instructions you can obviously tell we care to make sure you know how to use the kit to it fullest extent, simple oversight on our part.

To offset the t-plate from centered:

1) Bolt your offset t-plate onto the #8016 Bottom Plate in either pod centered or pod offset position, your choice. Stock guys are liking the centered pod, offset t-plate. Mod guys and low bite tracks are liking the offset pod and offset t-plate.

2) Move the #8120 Shock Plate to the left mounting holes on the #8015 Top Plate.

3) Move the #8012 Shock Tower to left using the holes already on the Shock Tower.

Following along with Steve Salvas' pics, this should help.

Arnie
Custom Works RC

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also...working on a car set-up sheet that will be available to download from CustomWorksRC.com in the near future, to ease the sharing of set-up tips.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys>>> It was as expected..as soon as I started the actual build all has become clear..Ive been gone since 92 so cars back then did not have all these adjustments...LOL

I can vouch the fit and finish is excellent...Everything has lined up perfectly..

Thumbsup..
Im hoping to get all my stuff ready for racing this weekend..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts