Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a super 2 which i built from parts and it runs slow, why is this?

has a new gold plated chassis, super 2 magnets, new mean grean arm and plate, new brushes + springs, pickups, ajs rims front and rear, super 2 front and side weights.

changed out the magnets for some stockers, runs a little faster but not much.

i'm running this on a tyco track, is that why? not enough volts?

red arm afx's will run circles around it!

i built a nonmag with an excelerator arm and it flys.

all i can think of is its to heavy with the weights and not enough volts to really spin it? or am i missing something??

·
BANNED
8,262 Posts
that was the exact problem with them when they first came out.
they were developed for commercial tracks and the higher voltages there.
if you can get more volts and a lot more amps, you will see some improvement.
as you have noted, there are other combinations that work really well.
be aware that DASH magnets are better than the yellow and blue magnets all day long.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Angle of the dangle

If it pipes up good on the bench. I'd take a good look at the front end. You didnt mention the pick ups.

At a whopping 15/32" be sure those Super ll front rims dont have the shoes geeked up off the rail. Originally designed to operate with a rim around 13/32", stock AFX shoes or skis may travel; but the contact patches might not be properly exposed or planted. That seemingly inconsequential 1/16" is frequently overlooked in clone assembleges

They originally ran a step shoe with tiger tails.....for a reason. Using the larger diameter Super ll front wheels with stock shoes and (modern?) Tyco rail sounds like your close to the edge of "current interruptus".

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
There was also one other killer problem with the Super 2. The comm brushes tended to have way too much drag on the comm. By the time the spring and brush were stacked into the too-shallow brush tubes, the springs just acted as bound-up spacers and jammed the brushes hard against the comm. Nice design, total fail in execution. Pull out the magnets and try to spin the arm with the springs and brushes in place. If it's tight, there's your problem. You may be able to shorten the spring by a coil and/or sand the comm brushes until it feels normal compared to, say a Mag Trac. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. i'll mess around with this some more see if i can get any more out of it.

the pickups i used were the afx power steering. they seem to be making good contact, but i'll check that. i'll try some deeper stepped shoes.

those brushed were sitting high, have to check that too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts