Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Charlie

I will keep both eyes on it, I see a lot of the older sets all the time :)
But the Turbo & the SRT were few and far between, :(
Might be a good idea to look outside the good old U.S.A.:)

GT40

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I never really thought about it but your right Charlie.......I'm finding the same thing as you are. Tons of RT and SG+ sets where made, and only a couple SRT sets.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just gone through all the catalogs I have copies of (the ones on the museum site) and found no reference to any SRT "stuff" at all. That chassis must have come out after they stopped doing print catalogs. I don't have a date when it was released, so don't know.

Charlie

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked Steve Russell about the lack of SRT sets and he confirmed that to the best of his memory, only 2 were made. SRT came about when the original black SG+ lexan chassis were breaking and the factory would not bother to figure out why (this went on for several years). Jim Russell and John Cukras then modified the Racing turbo to make a better chassis and released the SRT as a replacement for the SG+ and as an upgrade to the RT. Numerous cars were shifted to that chassis and sets were on the to do list when the factory finally admitted the SG+ chassis had issues and the material was changed to nylatron. Since all the tooling, etc. for the SG+ sets was already in place, they continued to manufacture those sets and never changed over to SRT.

This is my distillation of what Steve told me. Any incorrect information here is due to my memory issues <g> and the fact that this occurred back in 2000 or so. This should end some of the SRT mystery.

Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts