Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFX offered the Javelin with a flat hood and a hood with a scoop. I was curious if anybody had a flat hood in the junk box they might want to get rid of? Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
AFX offered the Javelin with a flat hood and a hood with a scoop. I was curious if anybody had a flat hood in the junk box they might want to get rid of? Thanks.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL
hey Jim!
You might get a bite here but this really does belong in Swap & Sell section.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Jim
I had one with a missing flat hood. I was able to make one from scratch using (of all things) an old plastic box from a Rat-L-Trap fishing lure. cut it to size, used a heat gun (very carefully) to contour it to the correct shape. Then sanded with 1200 grit paper and polished it with Novus #2 prior to painting. I will post a picture later. It actually was able to bring an old dog back to life.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Jim
I had one with a missing flat hood. I was able to make one from scratch using (of all things) an old plastic box from a Rat-L-Trap fishing lure. cut it to size, used a heat gun (very carefully) to contour it to the correct shape. Then sanded with 1200 grit paper and polished it with Novus #2 prior to painting. I will post a picture later. It actually was able to bring an old dog back to life.
I bet it looks Skookum, too! lets see it!:thumbsup:

·
Most Interesting Member
6,337 Posts
Jim
I guess that would qualify it as a custom?
So, wouldn't it need to be in the Modeling and Customizing section?
Jim,
I guess if you went to a slot car show and bought a collectable hood, then showed us how to tune it on your track,
you would have the Collecting, Events, Tuning and Track sections covered.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one of those blue molded Javelins prone to breakage. Well it did.....and like an idiot I threw it away good hood and all.

Any help appreciated!

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
TJET RACER
2,463 Posts
jav hood

hey jim i have a javilin body the roof is cut off and it has the hood its blue has # 5 on it do u need it let me know. ty :cool:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Here's the car. This was very rough before...several layers of paint in addition to the missing hood. After the hood my son in law practiced some air brushing and masking for a 2-tone job he wanted to do on another car

Here's a Rat-L-Trap box like the one I used

Not exact but it brought the one above back

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! Thanks to Honda27.

I had a magenta "pull back" Johnny Lightning Javelin body. Only thing was that it had the Trans-Am numbers and stripes but the big hood scoop.

So, I took the AFX flat hood and painted it flat black before I attached it to the Javelin. It took a tad bit of filing on the sides and mounting pins to make the fit but it worked out great.

Now, the magenta number 5 Javelin looks more like a race car with the standard hood. The flat black hood color looks great on that bright magenta car. I will try and post a photo soon.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes......Magenta is a shade of pink. I just couldn't refer tomy new race car as pink! Magenta is that lingerie shade of pink!

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Yes! Thanks to Honda27.

I had a magenta "pull back" Johnny Lightning Javelin body. Only thing was that it had the Trans-Am numbers and stripes but the big hood scoop.

So, I took the AFX flat hood and painted it flat black before I attached it to the Javelin. It took a tad bit of filing on the sides and mounting pins to make the fit but it worked out great.

Now, the magenta number 5 Javelin looks more like a race car with the standard hood. The flat black hood color looks great on that bright magenta car. I will try and post a photo soon.

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL
Heh. I did about the same thing with a chrome JL. I hate that big hood scoop. This worked out real well... the red 5 on the doors matched the red hood I used, which just happened to have a silver 5...

--rick

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Like'n the conversions to the flattie. Well worth the efforts and looks much better imho. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Pleasing to the eye

Sooooooo much bettter!

Never did like that litter box on the hood look. The Javvy styling has a purposeful angular descent as it moves forward I always thought that clunker hood (the styling opposite of a shaker :tongue:) totally ruined a nice model.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Chrome #5 looks great with the red hood.

Never understood why Johnny Lightning put a pro street hood scoop on the Javelin that had the Trans Am number?

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts