Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
VJ, I remember when you were threatening to do this.

Very slick!

Howz it rip? Handle good?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Handles great, when the rear fishtails out of the turns, you have the front wheels pulling you through. No noticeable difference in speed. Not as fast as a gplus, but faster than the average Magna Traction, only with slightly better magnets.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I remember to have thought when I had receive one Tyco body mounted on a similar chassis (quite same as Speedsteer) with its long motor axle, that it would be an easy candidate for transforming it into a 4x4... I set it aside, now I know why: will convert one day soon, your pictures will be helpful. Thanks for sharing VJ.
Personally, a same front and rear wheels size could be interesting too, (if possible 'coz nobody wants to have a 4x4 not parallel to the floor)

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Zanza... my next one will have the same size rims, and some nice knobby tyco tires. I also added lights to this one, but I tpok the pics of the chassis before doing that. Super easy conversion.

This one was more an exercise on how to do it. The next one will be cleaner. Less cutting and as mentioned, same size rims all around.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
A short Hijacking

videojimmy said:
Snip*....This one was more an exercise on how to do it. The next one will be cleaner. Less cutting and as mentioned, same size rims all around.
Hey VJ, Thought I'd let you know that I built a 4x4 T-jet chassis like the Cheetah you posted in the wayback. After some fiddling it runs very nicely.

The pick up springs needed tightening up, with no I'll effects due to the added weight. The shoes were bent/re angled as the short wheelbase and taller profile fronts raised the chassis.

I spent extra time on the gear mesh and lapping, and used a dovetail technique similar to my "Six By" to siamese the gearplates. I must confess that I cheated and poked in a 6 ohm arm and AFX magnets. :rolleyes:

The big difference maker was having the same profile tires on all four corners!
Just like a 1:1 4x4.

Handling is good considering the high CG, decent out of the hole, and fast enough not to be laughable once it's on the pipe. I still like the Six By better it's way more fun to slide! :thumbsup:

Although out of character, I'm holding back on this one and haven't posted up yet; cuz the body is still in the middle of the goo process.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Bill... good stuff, man. I was happy that it was so easy to do, I just posted the pics. I know after I do a few, each will be better than the one before it. That's the best part about the hobby for me, taking knowledge and techniques from one project and applying them to the next.. and so on.. and so on

I'm not sure what the next thing will be. Maybe a new and improved version of the Littel Red Wagon might be in order. I've also been thinking about scratch built chassis... they're always fun. I like keep one version of each car and innovation I come up with for them. I kept 3 Red Wagons out of the dozen or so I made, one with the molded engine and windshield, another with a big chrome motor from a JL kit and no glass, and the last, a version with a nicley painted interior, no glass, chrome motor on a modified Gplus chassis with custom rims.

Same kinda thing with my Gplus Cheetahs, make alot of them, learn alot from making them, keep a few for yourself... sell the rest to cover most of the costs for the parts you needed to make the batch. You only make a few pennies, but at least you get to play with the materials for free and hone your skills.

man, I wish I could make a living at this stuff.
T. Lowe and Co. are some lucky dudes... you think they know it?

How couldn't they?

oh well, maybe in my next life

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Oh boy I'm so lucky to be able to pick up and continue a hobby of my youth. I find it very theraputic. I just love all facets of this hobby. I consider it another life now, as it has been a rebirth.

I'm sure Tom has some headaches but what a great pain to have, aye?

·
Registered
327 Posts
VJ,

Must admit have built some 4x4s myself. But never in HO. Very clean effort, looks very tiddy, nicely done all round . . .

Cheers,
Jas

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Sweet 4 x 4 Jeep...another thing I gotta keep in the back of my mind for a rainy day project. First need to finish lots of others. Nice job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts