Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the AFX SRT and RT chassis?

Also wondering what is the post popular god quality chassis for those who like less down force similar to the old Tjets.

Thanks
Brian A

·
Registered
964 Posts
The SRT (Super Racing Turbo) is an upgraded RT (Racing Turbo). It has more powerful magnets and might be a little faster. That's the main differences. I'm sure some of our guys could expand on this. An AW XT chassis has no magnets (Ultra G has them) and fits the snap on bodies from AFX. The AW T-Jet 500 is a remake of the old screw down T-Jet (also comes as Ultra G w/magnets).

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
DesertSlot is right - the SRT has super sucker independent traction magnets in it while the Racing Turbo just has a standard bar magnet for traction.

For an AFX snap-mount chassis with old style low grip I would also recommend the Auto World XTraction (standard issue or you can get the Ultra-G variant and just pop out the little round traction mag). Bud's HO in NY usually sells the chassis on his website for about $6 if I remember right.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
I think the RTs (regular turbos) are actually faster down the straights than the SRTs. The SRTs have almost too much downforce. A good SRT will outrun an RT over the whole track because of the better downforce, but an RT is actually faster. I've got some wicked fast stock turbos. I like em cause they run on the edge of control, especially with a Buick Grand National body on it. I first got an AFX turbo back in 93 from KB toy outlet and liked them right off the bat. They were in some set with the BMW 3 series racers. The blue #3 and white and orange #27. A hairpin turn came in that set. I use the track on... wait a minute.... sorry, Im back. Was I rambling?? I got to go to bed..

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
thats good info.i still have a copper wire rt arm,but gave the bill elliot rt with copper wire to a friend for his b day.they were cool,but i like the srt better.heres a question:what magnatraction(if any)fit on the srt platform??

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I think the RTs (regular turbos) are actually faster down the straights than the SRTs.
This is because the Turbos have a 7/22 gear ratio versus 7/25 on the SRT.

No modern magnet car, with or without its traction magnets in place or replaced by brass slugs, has the same running characteristics as an old TJet. The AutoWorld TJet500 (non UltraG versions) comes the closest. If you are interested in trying the Tomy Turbo and/or SRT you can't do much better price-wise than these blowout deals from Racemasters:

http://afxracing.com/cart/?c/9999/1

Brand new Turbo Two Pack for $15.99 or single for $7.99. That's cheap in any language.

·
Registered
512 Posts
6 Lane test

Our only 6 lane race featured AFX LeMans cars consisting of Super G-Plus, SRTs and RTs.

The car I raced was an RT Porsche 962. Months before, I raced this car and dominated at a buddy's house who recently bought an AFX 4 Way Split set. The RT Porsche was able to beat the set's Super G-Plus cars.

So, I was happy to draw the same RT Porsche 962 to drive for the 6 lane race. However, unknown to me, I had swapped the rear axle to a new one which had a different gear ratio (according to AFXtoo).

During the race, I quickly realized the car did not run as well with the SRTs and Super G-Plus's as it did at my Buddy's. I finished 5th in a car I was sure could win. The axle swap out is apparently what caused it not to beat Super G-Plus cars.

Long story short. An SRT car won, second went to a Super G-Plus and third to another Super G-Plus. But......an RT could have run with the winners had I left the original axle/gear in!

Jim Norton
Huntsville, Alabama

1 - 9 of 9 Posts