Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was first able to afford garage kits, they would be in variable levels of complexity - usually a need to do much of the donkey work yourself: filling bubbles, cutting holes, trimming flash and so on.

As GK have evolved, they have become pretty little things, bubble free, clean crisp parts that just slot together or into place.

The point of this post is that I sometimes dabble in making parts and I often think I could sell copies of the parts I make. The thing is, my parts have bubbles and occasionally voids and like parts of old, they make a good platform to build upon.

I don't feel inclined to buy the vacuum pots for bubble free resin but I'd chuck my parts into the hat for those that want to build upon the parts I've made.

Question is, have we been too spoilt by the modern makers to be able to stomach parts in the old style?

Har

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd say the answer is, "it depends".

Personal factors (of the top of my head, in no particular order or implied relative importance) would include:

• Availability of subject
  • Cost of part
  • Complexity of part
  • Overall accuracy of the part and amount of research I wouldn't be required to do on my own to replicate it
  • How much I feel like being bothered to "roll my own"
  • Related: How easy would it be for me to print or scratch up something to work as a base, and go from there
If it's a small, higher detail part with voids and bubbles, I'm probably not going to feel it is worth the trouble, even if it were free.

Larger, simpler parts would be given more of a pass on voids and bubbles, but at the same time, at a certain point they're sufficiently large or simple that I probably wouldn't be inclined to buy a part that I could easily make.

But there's definitely a sweet spot in there where I'd be fine with it. But for hard guidelines, I can't really provide any.

It's more of a "I'll know it when I see it" sort of thing.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
That pretty much sums it up I think.

And tho you don't mention this, or ever hint at it, we all know it's not OK to copy other's resin work and sell it. Just wanted to make sure that's in the discussion.

I would say that like any business you need to figure out how serious you want to be about it. I make little badges and pins out of cheap epoxy resin and give them to friends. So I'm not worried about bubbles as I can fill them by hand if needed. I probably spend a good 10 hours or so on each pin between pouring, cleaning, painting, and finishing. Way too much labor :). But if I were to sell these I'd use better slow cure epoxy and make a vac chamber. Also new RTV molds o I could pour like 10 at a time.

Anyway, if you're wanting to sell things you make, build yourself a vacuum chamber. I don't think it needs to be a pure vacuum, just low enough pressure for the bubbles to work out. But there are hard core resin heads who would know better.

Good luck with your plans!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Wait, is the ability to edit a post gone? Anyway to the central question, I think we might indeed be spoiled by what's coming out nowadays in g-kit resin. I'm seeing things out of Russia that just astonish me, and make me wonder just how they're molding these things. The detail blows my mind!

·
Super Moderator
24,368 Posts
I have been curious as to what other options members see in that drop down menu. As a moderator, I have several different options that used to be in several other places - so it is a functional improvement for me and my volunteer obiligations,

But as a member - what link options do you guys even have? (Any?; One?: others? Does the edit one go away after 24 hours?)

If you are a premium member do you have other link options?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Well on mine, the drop-down only gives me 'Report', and on my posts it adds 'edit'. For me, at least my thinking, just adding two more 'buttons' at the bottom of the post field (reply, quote, like, edit, report) seems more elegant and functional. I know it doesn't use up, what, internet I guess, to have the dropdown used for mainly 'report' and I don't think I've even had to USE a report click but if I needed to do so, without John's prompt I would have no clue what to do.

But that's me. ?

·
Super Moderator
24,368 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

VS Admin did post a community faq thread in the community help section that provides some pictorial views of this (noted above) and some other common blog functions there too.

But like many members of HobbyTalk the site is still viewed as 3 separate blogs with most everyone never visiting any one of the other two. We actually have a few more topic areas than just 3 and few other sections most of us would consider to be missing from our primary topic area are also located out there!

Probably only a handful of our members visit everywhere on the site or even just 2 sections.

( @Harrison - I will snip this discussion out of your thread in a few days and move it to the community help section )

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
You can move and add this to that section too if you desire. I'm curious about the restrictions on editing. Is it a reaction to people who get salty over a discussion and decide to 'kick over the sandcastle' (edit posts to remove their bad statements that start a feud or delete discussions), or is there a logical process reason, like there's so much traffic that any buffer tracking edits would overflow and lose track? (otherwise my joking comment, it runs out of internet unless there are limits. :) ). 24 hours and 10 edits a week seems oddly arbitrary. But I am not a programmer so I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
24,368 Posts
Getting the reason behind changes is difficult (or ignored) and we didnt get to provide feedback before the roll over - only afterward - and it is being vetted by Cricket left and right.

I do know that the server platform is a new component owned by a different company than Vertical Scope and any changes need to be discussed/requested with them as well. Making on going discussion and decision making feedback difficult to follow when we are only getting feed back in the Cricket vetted version as well.

The 24 hour - 10 edits in 7 days is the first (?) parameters set in place (or the initial change) and was not well received at any Vertical Scope site I have visited and looked at their commuity feedback thread comments.

It has also been addressed since the first site update release was made last Summer (2019) but still no change in them - as far as I can tell. Only mentions that changes are (were) coming soon.

My personal opinion is that the developers view the site as a current topics blog site only and not the historical/reference type repository of information that HobbyTalk became and still is. So editing and updating it is not a part of the vision for the site by either Vertical Scope or the platform developers. But as a primarily automotive related site owner - I would think that Vertical Scope is at least aware of the need to update and maintain information as cars go out of production or are themselves updated, recalls happen and new technology is released.....

The pat answer provided is that it is set up this way to improve site performance and response speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts