Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody besides me entered the Amazing Figure Modeler Monster Scenes Contest? You have until midnight tonight though, as much as I enjoy plastic modeling, I wouldn't want to celebrate the arrival of the new year by trying to beat a deadline. But if you want to, here's the link to AFM's Contest page: http://www.amazingmodeler.com/contest.html.

At any rate, best of luck to the other entrants and Happy New year to us all!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
That's AWESOME Mark!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dr Deadly's a trannie?????:p
I bow to the master.........I wish I had half your talent....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice work Mark, Thats a crazy lookin figure:freak:,
Looks like a winner to me:thumbsup:,
I put two entries in the dungeon cat, but removed the pics from my laptop.

Good luck in the comp everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. I thought bending Dr. Deadly's gender was a relatively cheap shot, but I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time to get something done for the contest. One thing I have learned, is that the possibilities for customizing the Monster Scenes kits are endless! And in that regard, Dick Tracy's not too far behind: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=277245

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
God Mark, she looks like my Grade 8 Science Teacher...Mrs. Harper...and except for the beaker of eyeballs it's a spittin' image:thumbsup: Ol'lady Harper carried a beaker of Margaritas...
Great job on this :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Nice job Mark on the DD conversion! I didn't have any time this go around to enter...your kit turned out GREAT!

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Also, good luck to anyone else here who entered as well!

MMM

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again, gents. Mcdee, Sister Deadly bears more than a passing resemblance to an English teacher I once had. I respected her very much, so I won't identify her - the Internet is way too public!

·
Registered
287 Posts
WOW! Mark, this is really awesome! I wish I could build & paint my kits half as good as you do. One of these days you gonna have to share some of your techniques with me/us. :D

Good luck with the contest!!!

A.U.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...One of these days you gonna have to share some of your techniques with me/us...
Thanks, A.U. At the risk of highjacking my own thread and making a lot of eyes on the BBs roll ("He's still on this?), I have been working on a book that is tenetatively titled Fantastic Figures for almost a year now. It will differ from most other modeling books, and not only because of its subject matter. In Fantastic Figures I do more than just present a series of tutorials; I also explain why I did what I did. I think that an understanding of the strategies that a modeler uses as he or she approaches a project are every bit as important as knowing what materials and techniques to use.

Through the generosity of Fred DeRuvo, much of the material in Chapter One ("Getting Started") and Chapter Four ("Injection-Molded Model Kits") is already done. Fred allowed me to reprint it from my series of articles, "Modeling Basics 101", which appeared in the late lamented Modeler's Resource magazine. Therefore, my buildup of Aurora's Robin the Boy Wonder kit opens Chapter Four.

I am currently in the middle of Chapter Three ("Busts"), in which I describe the basics of choosing a flesh color, painting eyes, and painting hair (with emphasis on blending the hairline into the skin). Although busts are usually pricier models, I put them ahead of styrene kits because the larger busts make it easier to illustrate the painting skills that can be applied to smaller scale kits. In this chapter, I'm using Geomtric Design's 1/4 scale Bride of... and Ghost of Frankenstein busts to use different techniques to produce variations of that dead skin tone.

When I finish Chapter Four the book will be half done and I'll start shopping it around to the various publishers. A long time ago, some friends and I tried publishing our own comic book, Zombie Hit Men. It ran for three issues and it was a lark - but I learned that I'd rather avoid self publication at all costs!

As I have stated before, when (or if) Fantastic Figures gets published, everybody here will be the first to know.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Mark - If for some reason... your book does not get pick-up by a Publisher... Would you still sell it to us - Maybe on a CD or something like that. I always enjoyed your 101 in Modelersresource Mag.

Gerry-Lynn

·
Registered
287 Posts
As I have stated before, when (or if) Fantastic Figures gets published, everybody here will be the first to know.
It'll happen. And what a fantastic book it's gonna be. I am having a hard time handling the anticipation, though.

Say, just wondering,:rolleyes: BSMer's get dibs on the first edition, autographed copies right????:D

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I haven't forgotten about the solid gold hand bound copy you promised me Mark.....:thumbsup:

Chris.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts