Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want a good lighting effects kit at a reasonable cost, look no further. I went to all my vendor web-sites and figured out exactly what I paid for each component that comes in this kit, including shipping. I then added a 25% markup on those parts. What I found out is that I could sell this kit at a very competitive price-point. I'm not looking to get rich. I'll be making very little off of selling this kit. For me, it's more about making a contribution.

Here's a demonstration video. My camera sort of sux, so the quality could be better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46D8Rw0G1uw

I could not find a sound file for the proper ST: TMP photon torpedo sound effect, but if anyone can point me to it, then I'll reprogram the sound module accordingly. It needs to be a single channel file in .wav format, 8 bit sample size and 8khz sample rate.

Ok, down to brass tacks. The kit will cost you $49.00 + $6.50 flat rate shipping to anywhere in the Continental US. I'll have to give individual quotes for international shipping.

For that, you'll get the following......

1X completely assembled PCB with a two year warranty.
1X two pin pre-wired power connector
1X twelve pin pre-wired connector.
3 male to female jumper wires in case you might want to change some of the programming parameters, which I'll gladly help you with.
15X 2mm "lighthouse" style LEDs, one extra of each (3x red, 3x green(diffused w/colored lenses) and 9x diffused white)
16 1/4 watt 5% resistors (8x @ 100ohm, 8x @ 1K) based on a 12V system. Let me know if you'll be using 9 volt instead
2X 3528 (4-PLCC) SMD Bi-Color Blue/Yellow pre-wired LEDs
2X 10" long pre-wired Blue LED adhesive strips.
3X normally open pushbutton momentary switches (pre-wired)

The only things you need to furnish for yourself are the exterior window lighting. I would suggest adhesive backed strip lighting, like this.....
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Flexible-300xSMD3528-Adhesive-2026NW/dp/B007JF2A6G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1461611754&sr=8-5&keywords=adhesive+strip+lighting

7 stranded 28 to 30awg wire and soldering equipment, to solder your wire and resistors to the LEDs.

...and the "spotlight" lighting w/resistors (don't forget those resistors, one per LED in parallel config) and that's it, unless you want to get creative with the shuttlebay. If so, I can also help with that :)

Anyway folks, I'm trying gauge interest in this to see whether or not it's worth fooling with. Let me know, either in this thread or by PM. Thanks for your time :)

warranty info: if anything goes wrong with Enterprise refit lighting fx ctrl board within the warranty time-frame and we can't figure it out over the net, ship the board back to me and I'll either repair it or replace it, free of charge.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If I had a Refit kit I would definitely be interested. That's a helluva deal for a pretty complete lighting kit. Love the video. Now, if you do something similar for the 1/350 TOS....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rob, funny you should mention that. I recently completed a 1/350 TOS for which I built my own lighting kit. I used little 12mm diameter motors that I got from ebay to spin the bussard collectors, they're much like the motors in the stock, polar lights lighting kit. They fit just perfect but they are a little noisy. The noise doesn't really bother me, because I only turn it on for a minute or so, just to show it off to people that come to visit, but I would have to design something much quieter to sell commercially.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts