Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Super neat (<-- yep I sure did, I said 'neat' lol) forum here! There's so much good info, of with Im in need of myself. I have, as the title mentions, a 1969 Topper Johnny Lightning Custom GTO. Im wondering if I should take it somewhere to be restored, or if doing so will depreciate the value? Im not too keen on the idea of suckin any value it may have out by restoring it, in fact i was hoping restoring it would raise the value. But I have not a clue. So the lil guys fate is in your hands now~lol thanks in advance for any input

ps I have pics if it even matters, a restore is a restore right?!

·
Banned
3,878 Posts
Depends on the condition really, how rough is it ? if its so rough its practically worthless I'd have it restored

Custom GTO is a really nifty (<-- yep I sure did, I said 'nifty' lol) model so be sure to post picks sometime.

and Welcome to HT

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
He's correct. Restoring vintage diecast will not generally raise it's value unless it is in pretty poor shape now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pics

Thanks for the welcome guys! Im swinging on the 'it doesn't hold a lot of hope w/o a restore' side of the fence. I guess I didn't take two seconds of common sense into factoring how important condition must be in this hobby. I mean they were meant to be raced, and jumped, and soar through the air to rescue Raggedy-Ann and her forest friends….ok ok the last one may just be me. :lol:
Ok y'all go easy on me. Ima post pics. don't judge me. I know I know Im like the evil kid all the toys are afraid of in Toy Story ;(

Attachments

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys! Im swinging on the 'it doesn't hold a lot of hope w/o a restore' side of the fence. I guess I didn't take two seconds of common sense into factoring how important condition must be in this hobby. I mean they were meant to be raced, and jumped, and soar through the air to rescue Raggedy-Ann and her forest friends….ok ok the last one may just be me. :lol:
Ok y'all go easy on me. Ima post pics. don't judge me. I know I know Im like the evil kid all the toys are afraid of in Toy Story ;(
Restoring a little car has the opposite affect it does on full size cars.

It makes them pretty much worthless,or,what someone is will to pay.

Dont worry about value and condition.Collect what makes you happy.

If you want to worry about condition and value,try collecting coins.

Its a great car as it sits.I would leave it as is.

Mike

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Do whatever makes YOU happy. These are toys. The whole idea of a toy is happiness, right? Your GTO looks to me to be in way better than average condition for a 44 year old diecast car, so personally I'd leave it as-is. It isn't worth a whole lot, but restoring it wouldn't add to it's value. If you want a shiny new-looking Custom GTO, by all means look into restoration. Just remember that you'll be erasing all the playwear that some kid spent many happy hours inflicting on it! Or, you could try to find one in better condition on eBay.

I have a 1969-vintage Hot Wheels Custom Nomad in my collection that is nearly identical to one I had when I was a kid, right down to it's color and condition. I'd never even consider restoring it, but I'd love to find a brand-spankin'-new one to go with it!

Whatever you decide to do, just remember that nobody can tell you that you did the wrong thing. It's YOURS, so have fun with it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the input! It especially put it in perspective when covairjim mentioned that I would be erasing all the 'hours of playwear inflicted.' I feel less bad about being the kid next door in Toy Story now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts