Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to slots and I built an HO track in the basement. Its on a 10x4 table so it has ~10 foot straights and some banked turns so its fast. With the banking its definitely not for non magnet cars. The old afx magnitraction barely makes it around but the older Gplus stuff does alright. So Im looking at buying a few cars but Im not sure what to go with. Im not going to spend $30 per car because I really dont care that much. But I have seen some that are fairly priced from $15-25. Are the tyco 440's any good? I have a few old tyoc's, 2 different kinds but I dont know which is which. There were so many Tyco models I couldnt tell the difference anymore. I would assume a super G-Plus would be good. Im looking to get a car that handles well for the banking and wont need much maintenance with the armature or brushes. And it would be nice to get something that has at least some aftermarket for tires and accessories like pickups for when the originals go bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
I used tyco 440x2 and Lifelike T chassis - they both are fun to race. Easy to find parts for replacements on line.

Wes

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Tomy , tyco, or Life like...all good...

Read through Greg Braun's website for consice reviews of each car...

http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/

All three brands have plenty of parts available...all three can be found on e-bay for reasonable prices....

I have some of each...The SG+ seem to have the longest legs on the straights and have the best top end on my track....while the SRT have the advantage in the tight areas...but the 440's will keep up as well...I have a couple older life like and just finnaly found the right tires for them....they went from a dogs to giving the SG+ a run for it's money and seem very equal to the SRT..I dont have the latest generation of life like as of yet..so I dont know anything about them...

When you get into the BSRT's or wizzards you need to upgrade your power supply and controllers..the entry level cars are 30 to 40 bucks, and run up well over a hundred for the top of the line...

But if you have a need for speed...they are worth every penny... :cool:

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,714 Posts
I recommend the Tyco 440X2 -- plenty quick for any home set-up and easy enough to work on. Just swap out the stock rear hubs for some BSRT .250 double-flanged rims and use a nice slip-on tire for a little better grip than stock.

'doba

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That's odd....Afx magnatractions should handle those banks just fine, unless the tires are dry-rotted and need replacing. Some slipon silicones should do the trick. You should get yourself some of the new AW cars. These cars are very low maintenance, you can run them as long as you like, parts are plentiful, and they're easily the least expensive on the market.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All my old tires are glazed and dried up. So yea the magnitraction doesnt work too well because all my gear is ancient. Im gonna have to find someone who can sell me a bulk of new silicon tires for all my cars.

I do like the tyco x2's because they seem very fast and easy to work on but they dont stick to the track like the SG+ does. But I've been playing with the old g-plus stuff because theres some skill involved so it makes it more fun. One thing I have is a few old Turbo aurora cars and those things seem very solid. As fast as the tyco but better handling. Thanks for the replies!

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
BewstdGT said:
All my old tires are glazed and dried up. So yea the magnitraction doesnt work too well because all my gear is ancient. Im gonna have to find someone who can sell me a bulk of new silicon tires for all my cars.

I do like the tyco x2's because they seem very fast and easy to work on but they dont stick to the track like the SG+ does. But I've been playing with the old g-plus stuff because theres some skill involved so it makes it more fun. One thing I have is a few old Turbo aurora cars and those things seem very solid. As fast as the tyco but better handling. Thanks for the replies!
try lifelike T chassis - i just got into lifelike 4 months ago and i m hooked to them they are faaassstt and they stick to track really good they have neo magnet dots. they are kind of fun. i am tyco guy for past 25 years .

Wes

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
for tires, weird jack sells bulk tires (rejects, but they work fine) fairly cheaply. if you want, send me your address and ill send you tire samples of brands i like

for fun and cheap cars, go to slot car world and buy 4 marchon chassis

http://www.slotcarworld.com/

using the menu on the left, look for HO cars, sets, track, part, then click. scroll the new window looking for marchon. marchon is a very inexpensive and VERY under rated chassis. a group of friends and i built a large (2 4x8 sheets of plywood) 2 lane track in a warehouse where we were drivers, and we raced marchons with lexan bodies and tomy turbos.

any of the marchon chassis is fine, but consider the orange 22643 chassis. the funky box on top unscrews. toss it but save the screws.

also order some clear lexan bodies (slot car world doesn’t stock them, but lots of other vendors do. here is an example from eBay!. if you want, i will send you one with the tires. http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-1-64-Gunner-...tem190063865668

wash then paint the body on the inside. lots of us just paint the window black (outside or inside) as its easier than masking to keep the window clear.

usually attaching the bodies is a bit of a hassle. you need a custom clip or you need to make and install mounting tubes. but with the orange marchon chassis, you don’t need to. remember those screws? simply screw the lexan body to the chassis.

$3 for the chassis, $1 for the body, for $4 you have an awesome racer.

sometimes i replace the stock marchon magnets with stronger magnets. you can get magnets from eBay! http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PC-N40-1-4X...=item7625289546

or from here: http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/ca...&products_id=69

from forcefield, i like: NdFeB Disc, 1/8 in. x 1/16 in., Au; NdFeB Disc, 3/16 in. x 1/16 in.; NdFeB Cube, 3/16 in., Au; and NdFeB Cube, 3/32 in. Au

here is a sample of marchon mods:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would agree Tyco 440's are the best way to go along with the lifelike or tomy. They are the most track freindly cars to use and easy to work on. You can even upgrade these to handle better at not a great expense to your pocket.
Wizzard cars are a different ball park.The stock version is ok to run on the layout without much power up grade but once you start upgrading you will have to juice up the track with more power.The top of the line wizzard cars will set you back about $125 to over $300.
You can upgrade a tyco for the layout which will run fine for about $30 or under.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got a couple more cars for xmas. Both are super G-Plus, not my first choice but they are faster than anything else I have left over from the old stash. I think tyco's are the easiest to drive though. We've been having a ball driving the magnitraction AFX stuff and the old G-Plus cars. They handle the banking just well enough to get around the track and its still a challenge.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Would definitely pick up some of the LLs to have fun with. But I'd considerer picking up a few of the new AW XTractions. These new ones seem to have a little more speed and the stock tires aren't all that bad either. However, i have replaced them with silicones on all of my new ones. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
roadrner said:
Would definitely pick up some of the LLs to have fun with. But I'd considerer picking up a few of the new AW XTractions. These new ones seem to have a little more speed and the stock tires aren't all that bad either. However, i have replaced them with silicones on all of my new ones. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: rr
The XTraction is the same as the old Magnitraction AFX cars right? If they are the non magnet type I dont think they will work because our track has a lot of banking. Even opur good AFX cars BARELY make it thru the corners.

Im amazed to hear so many people recommend LifeLike because every hobby shop Ive been to says to avoid them like the plague because you cant get parts for them anymore. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look around, you can find good deals anywhere. Spend only what you're comfortable spending, whether you're running at home with friends and family for fun, or competitively at a track. :cool:

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
Re: The Marchons - make them even quicker with Tomy Turbo motors and gears. I started a thread were you could get the Turbo red motors for less than a buck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts