Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to attempt to detail some Hot Wheels interiors. Any advice from experienced customizers on paint, primer, or preparation to get the paint to adhere to the soft plastic that Mattel uses for interiors? All tips and recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick V.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
plastic adhesion promoter. i think dupli-color makes it and it dries flat if i can remember correct as its been a while since i used it, but you should have no issue using normal testors enamel or even acrylic without adhesion promoter. i just use the cheap acrylic paint from walmart for interiors as your not touching them when assembled so they work just fine. just use a small small brush. like i said prep work is minimal for interiors as its a part that does not get touched so just make sure its free of grease/oils and you are good to go.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I have used the acrylics as well. They wouldn't stand up to a lot of handling, but they won't be handled anyway.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
^exactly i was using it for headlights and taillights. but now i got the testors stuff so ill be good now. it can be handled if you seal it with some sort of sealer like white glue.... the acrylic craft paint does work great with dioramas though

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I have used the acyrlic craft paints for years... Ya have a million and one color selections... Then spray with a matte or satin clear cote to protect it... These brands have been the best for me for many years and I have tried several different brands!!!
Matte gives ya a cloth look and the satin gives ya a leather look !!!
Best of luck Rick !!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys! Exactly the practical advice I was looking for. Time for me to make a run to the craft store!

Rick V.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
id never use testors sprays way too expensive for the tiny cans, easier and cheaper to buy a big can of krylon and remove the paint from the can and use in an airbrush.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If the interior is chrome I have used 'Westleys Bleche White' to remove the chrome. Just poor some in a small container and let soak. You can find it in any automotive parts store. Wally World and Target also carry it. Hope that helps.:eek:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
purple power will work as well, basically they both are high in sodium hydroxide aka lye which is a caustic. i found the rusting solution for the sophisticated finishes stuff removes the chrome...acetone will remove it as well. just need to do short bursts with this and stop when chrome is gone. good idea on the bleach white, i need to try it with purple power and test it as i hate the chrome interiors but i understand why its done as its hard to chrome bumpers if its attached to the same piece of plastic

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use Castrol Super Clean to strip chrome from plastic -- usually only takes an hour in the jar, although occasionally overnight and some scrubbing with old toothbrush for stubborn plating in the recesses on plated chassis.

Thanks for all the input!
Rick V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts