Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have been out of it for seven years. I race full size cars now. I want to get back into the hobby and introduce it to my kids. My oldest is 5 and I know it will be a couple of years before he is ready to race. I want to build my stuff back up and race a little hear and their untill that time comes. I know I am going to need new tires, motors and batteries. I want to list what I have and maybe you can give me advice on what will help me too upgrade first. I will probably run on a carpet oval. Remember I am not going to be a every week racer and I know you guys hate those types. I will probably run stock 4 cell at the most. I will probably race ten times a winter and 3 or 4 times during the summer. Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have plenty of stupid questions just bare with me.

Heres what I have- 2 hyperdrive stx cars, 3 tekin esc a 411p a 411g and a 411g2, 2 tekin75mhz fm receivers, futaba magnum pcm 1024 radio. I have a bunch of servos - have any major changes happened with these? I have also a cobra comm lathe and a tekin dyno 900. I have a tekin 200a charger. What would be the best order of upgrade thanks.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Radio
Since your radio is PCM and is still in working order you should be okay there.

Charger:
You will probably need a new charger to be able to charge the current GP3300MAH batteries. Integy makes alot of models all capable of doing the job. The LRP Pulsar Competition is a nice unit that will Charge, Discharge to 10amps and run motors and com lathes. It sells for about $160. If you cant afford a top of the line charger like the CE Turbo GFX, maybe check out a used T30 or T35.

Chassis:
Most cars can be made fast but the HD STX is outdated and I hightly doubt there are parts to fix it.
My suggestion is the Hyperdrive SSE Pro 2 car. For Stock racing get the "Shorty" chassis Version.

Servo:
Go Digital, Futaba 9602, JR 3421, KO 947, all good choices.

Speedo:
LRP Quantum 1, Quantum 2, Novak GTX (new), Keyence Rapida Pro (new) all work

Motors:
For stock Trinity Monster, Epic Roar stock (2 magnet) motors are choice for oval.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well radio equipment is good. If your going to only be doing this here and there. The speed controls that you have will work fine. If you want to go faster then upgrade one the them. Best Bang for yoru buck would be either a KSG or the L4O. The KSG is a nice car that runs well on any track really adn it comes with all the hop ups. No need to buy this or that later on. Trinity Monstor Stock or Binary 2 Stock motors will work great. Chargers is where it is worth spending a little extra money. There are many good chargers out there. Some do better then others. You want something that can charge the NIMH cells, also can discharge them at 30 amps. The Turbo 35GFX or a used Turbo35 STEALTH. Either are great chargers. Just Mmy 2 cents.
Mike DeMallie
Team Brahma Racing Products.
www.DeMallieRacingProducts.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
upgrade

thanks guys. Another question is it necessary to run capacitors on motors still or is that a thing of the past? Also since it is going to be a couple of years before i get real serious, should I wait and go with a brushless system.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Shane, most stock motors out there like the Green Machine 3, Monsters, Binaries, Epic stocks, all have built in capacitors so you wont need to add them.

Hmmm, brushless in oval is still a very new thing. Roar had a brushless demonstation class at the Paved Oval nats and it seemed to go over really well...but on a local level its still in its infancy.

H

·
0 Posts
I don't think the Tekin 411G2 would be that much of a difference compared to the newer escs for stock racing. The chassis may be alright for awhile and you may be able to upgrade it using parts from the old incorporating them into a newer version (check the hyperdrive website or rc4less site to compare prices and costs). It may be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new complete chassis again you could hold off and determine that based on how involved you start getting.
I would say a new charger, battery packs (GP3300), motor(s), tires (check track for what compounds are used), body. For chargers Integy has 3 models 16x5v5 in DC and AC/DC model but require you use an adjustable power supply or use a voltage dropping diode when charging 4cell packs, 16x7 and 16x9 (all have 20amp discharge features, adjustable voltage detect settings), Tekin is back with their 112a, CE GFX is the supreme charger but at the price of one of their chargers I was able to buy 2 Integy 16x5, Reedy Quasar or Quasar Pro are AC only. Batteries: too many places are carring them to list them all - shop around compare prices with the numbers you need (I've used Integy in a pinch with good results). Find as many locations as you can either locally or online to see which offers the best price and service. There are some links are that will give you a rough idea on the cost of what you need to speed and items available - check out a few.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts