Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of painting the sub assemblies for my PL 1/1000 TOS Enterprise, and I've noticed something very peculiar. The nacelles do not want to attach to the pylons. The way they are designed, they are 'twisted' into place, but when I try to do so, I can't seem to get them into place. This is a snap kit, but I'm going to glue everything together, but I don't see how I can get them to stay in place without so much force that something might break.

This is my first attempt with this kit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yes. Attach the inboard half to the pylon then cement the outboard nacelle half to the inner nacelle half/strut assembly. Kind of shoots down the idea of subassemblies but that's the best way I know of to do it right.
When I build my E I used CA to cement the tab and hold it in alignment until I could pack Tamiya epoxy putty all around it on the inside of the nacelle half. Once the putty dried there was no way that strut was coming loose.
If you don't have Tamiya epoxy putty you can use AVES or some other type of 2 part epoxy.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I glued mine, but there was a hard-to-describe twist that produced a 'click' sensation that made it feel like it was in place. My Son's first non- glue attempt resulted in it seeming way out of place & coming off too easily.

Hope that helps, FWIW.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dog-gonnit, I already glued the nacelle halves together. I'll likely just have to fight with it when I go to assemble it together.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Dog-gonnit, I already glued the nacelle halves together. I'll likely just have to fight with it when I go to assemble it together.
Ours were together, just play professional locksmith... it's not power, just finesse... find the click!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'll have to be gentle with them. For now, I'm facing another problem. I just primed the sub-assemblies thinking that I didn't have too many seams to worry about, except for the pylons which I puttied and sanded down. Holy smokes, the prime shows off seams on the nacelles like I can't believe!!! Looks like there will be more sanding once the primer is dry!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
The way I did mine years ago was after glueing the nacelle halfs together I went and sanded down the tabs on the pylons some, just enough for it to go together without the risk of breaking something, so sand and test fit every so often. Or use what I did, a file.
Sand & prime, prime & sand. It's what we do.:thumbsup:
You got it kinda wrong, it should be "What We Love To Do", as recorded by The Statler Brothers.:wave::tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts