Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I was wondering if anybody can tell me what scale is the three piece Adversary set is. Are the three ship in three different scales or are they in the same scale as each other?
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
The Klingon BoP w/the Adversary Set is one of those "ambiguously scaled" models. I say that as there's no set length for the KBoP as seen in TNG & DS9. They had sizes all over the place - anywhere from roughly 90m up 600m! I'm the "Keeper of the Scales" for Starship Modeler, and that's why the Adversary KBoP kit hasn't been added previously.

Anyhow, I went ahead and added it to the list, but w/o a scale associated with it. I'm tempted to give it a K'Vort length of 329.2m, per the Bird-of-Prey Size Paradox article at Ex Astris Scientia. What do ya'll think? Should I add it using that length? :huh:

- - - - - -

Jeffrey Griffin
Griffworks Shipyards

Star Trek Scale Modeling WebRing

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
The "official" length of the Klingon BOP as determined for STIII and provided to ILM was 360'. I guess you could determine from that at least what one possible scale might be based on the length of the model in the adversary kit.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Right, but the majority of times the KBoP appeared in TNG - which is the time-frame the Adversary Set is released from - you would have to use the average size, right? If you do that, the official length from ST:III would be out the window as I believe the KBoP ever appeared to be that small in two episodes of TNG. The majority of the times it appears to be around the 330m length. Given a model length of 3.1" and using a length of 329.2m for the "real" ship, you get a scale of 1/4181. If you use more of a "cruiser" length of 228.3m, you get a scale of 1/2899.

Of course, for personal collections, just call it whatever scale you want for whatever ship it's meant to represent. For my collection, I call it a 1/2500 scale K'vort-class cruiser. I think it also looks great if you consider it a B'rel-class scout, which scales out to 1/1393 - right darned close to 1/1400!

In fact, I think I'll just call it the B'Rel and list it as 1/1400. :) Thanks for gettin' me to think on it some more, folks. And thanks for reminding me about the ST:III length, "Trek Ace". Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

- - - - - -

Jeffrey Griffin
Griffworks Shipyards

Star Trek Scale Modeling WebRing

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Captain-Raveers said:
No this is the AMT/ERTL Adversary Set they're talking about... :p

Trent
Oooooooooooooooooooooh...

*checks to see he's still on the PL board*

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
To be totally honest I thought the idea of this site was to talk about the "hobby of modeling" hence the name "Hobby Talk", not "Polar Lights Hobby Talk".

This BB IS sponsored by Polar Lights and I commend them on their efforts in putting this up for us to use. :thumbsup: But I would think that it would be narrow minded to confine it to discussing their models only! Don’t get me wrong! They have a diverse line-up of great kits, several of which I own, but there is so much more out there!

This site is also made up of members and moderators who represent other forms and ideas in modeling. It would make for a very lonely place if other forms of modeling were curtailed!

Personally, my interests fall in different categories of modeling and mediums. From plastic to resin, from cars to figures. There is very little I have not done at one time or another in modeling. Some with more success than others.

I like the idea of a site where any type of model can be brought up and looked over. The views and insights I have read from the members of this site have rescued some of my mistakes from the garbage can on more than one occasion! And I truly hope that any small contributions I have made have helped others with theres. :rolleyes:

I truly hope not! But maybe this is changing now that RC2 has taken over.

Later, Petseal:wave:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Everybody, thanks for the input on the scale issue. Hey Petseal, have you ever tried making Auyrn from the movie Neverending Story?

·
Registered
114 Posts
kahless72 said:
Hey Everybody, thanks for the input on the scale issue. Hey Petseal, have you ever tried making Auyrn from the movie Neverending Story?
Seen the film but can't say that I have ever heard of a kit of Auyrn! I am assuming he/she/it is the flying carpet with the big head :confused:

I mostly build plastic kits for myself but I do have several resin and vinyl kits of my own. I actually got into building resin and vinyl kits for other people. It gave me the opportunity to build some fantastic kits I would not have bought for myself.

Later, Petseal :wave:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well AUYRN is the thing that was on the cover of the book; two snakes biting each other's tails. It wasn't a kit of any kind. I was just asking if you attempted to make one. I tried with soft molding clay. A friend casted it using resin, but it turned out oppesite of what I wanted. My fault.

·
Registered
114 Posts
kahless72 said:
Here is a picture of AURYN.......from the show.
Sorry to admit but I do not scratch build models. I have a mess of kits in my room to work on and I just do not have the time, desire or patience to scratch built. I do make modifications to plastic kits, the 4 Planet of the Apes kits re-popped by PL I made into bookends, actually they would be DVD-ends! :thumbsup:

And I have attempted to make really simple props, a couple of swords/knives from Star Trek, with some success! But otherwise I leave it to the experts.

Later, Petseal:wave:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts