Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Windows XP, and I'm having an unusual problem. My ISP site has an optimization routine that I can run to check my internet connection. When I click on it, a small window appears asking me to allow the install of an ActiveX module. The main window also brings up screen shots of what to expect, and what my replies should be. The problem is, I click the button to go ahead with the install, the small window dissappears, but nothing else happens. No yellow bar at the top of the browser window, like it said to expect, just nothing. If I click on the link again, the process starts over with the little window, etc.
I had a similar experience several weeks ago with LIVERC.COM asking me to install an ActiveX to see the video portion of transmission, but just wrote it off thinking it them and not me.
Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
are you running IE6? or the new IE7? Are you logged in as an "Administrator" to your own machine?

Alot of "active X" stuff gets "blocked". Could be blocked by your windows popup or if you have a aftermarket (aol?) popup blocker. Try holding down "Ctrl" on your keyboard when clicking on the link you need.

Do you get that (like the picture i included) as the popup? "This site might... blah blah blah..."

let me know....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mits,

I don't get the yellow bar as in your attached picture. I'm about 99.5 % sure I'm running IE6 (I'm not at the home PC right now...). Could be any of those things you mentioned. I'll give them a try one by one tonight.
Will let you know. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
one last thing is you could reset your browser to default settings.... perhaps... let me know and ill tell you how to do that as well.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, here's the stats:

Win XP Pro sp2
IE6
McAfee firewall on
McAfee anti-virus on
IE pop-up blocker off
my logon is administrator
there is a Yahoo tool bar on IE, but it's pop-up blocker is off also
I went in and restored the defaults on IE
I turned off the McAfee firewall and tried again

still no luck. Any other possibilities?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
interesting... can you send me the link of your optimization thing? im curious to see how it works.... maybe i can troubleshoot for you.

curious if you have any other accounts on your machine.. maybe you can try.. or create a new account with admin rights, and then try....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 5 accounts set up right now... all have admin rights. I'll send an email with the link.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
how odd... i installed it and it worked fine... dont know what it EXACTLY is supposed to do... i know this sounds silly but.. turn off your mcafree antivirus when you install it... try it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts