Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am sure that this has been discussed here before, but I can't find it. I'm going to begin working on the 1/96 German Revell USS Constitution. I've used enamels in the past (40 years ago when I last built models) but I hear that maybe acrylics are the way to go. I would appreciate advice on which way to go. And if anyone could point me to where there are 'tips and hints' on painting her as well as on rigging her, I'd be grateful.

Thank you.

Dennis (an old guy starting up again)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Either/Or it will just depend on your own preferences, availability, etc. Or use both?

If you are familiar with enamels... stick with them. For such a big kit I would consider 1) airbrush or 2) spray cans. most Sprays are enamel... For airbrushing you could use either or both...

I use Tamiya paints a lot. They are acrylic and airbrush nicely. They brush paint ok for small details but sometimes painting larger things is hard... Humbrol enamels brush and airbrush very nicely. Tamiya's new lacquer spray paints are excellent and very durable.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have always used acrylics on sailing ships, though for a black hull on 1/96th scale I always start with a flat black spray enamel for the base then dry brush acrylic black over it, usually a couple different shades of black looks nice. Same basic idea with the copper sheathing.
Smaller scale ships I don't use enamel at all on the hulls. Thats all hand painted.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
For tips and hints check out the finnishing section on www.starshipmodeler.com uwhich is located under discussuion forums and there are different types of acrilyc paints like those you find at a craft store are much thicker than Tamya or Model Master and the craft store paints can be removed much easier than those found on hobby shops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi djnick66.

Thanks much for the helpful info.

I considered getting and learning to airbrush, but except for the hull, it's all brushwork. So I think I'll try and avoid screwing it up and stick to brushes.

I might just stick to enamels as I know them, but am very interesting in doing washes over base coats and thought that maybe acrylics would work better, but I'll play around and see what I can do.

I'm wondering what "Post Quick Reply" means as 5 minutes have gone by and the little timer wheel is still going round.

Thanks again.
Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello you can't really be a weasel .... can you?

I'd be concerned with losing the small details in the hull with so many coats. I've heard many recommend spraying a primer coat, then a layer of paint and then a wash or rub, but this model has so much little teeny tiny details in the hull and deck that I think that I'd loose a lot of it with so much paint.

I know that copper plus water goes that light tourquoise shade of green, so I'm thinking of laying down the copper first coat, then doing a wash and rub with the appropriate green.

I've also read where guys put down two different colors on the deck and then lightly sand to get to the first coat to simulate wood. But they put nice wood grain on the deck - except that it's raised rather than embedded. So I'm going to experiment and see if I can put a thinned coat down first, then using a rolled cloth lightly rub the raised grain to use their grain to make it look like wood only having a slightly darker color on top.

And it seems that since I really want to do a nice job, I'll get some enamels and acrylics and play on a 1/196 scale version of the ship I bought for a couple bucks at a yard sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts