Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I absolutely love the M2 cars... Almost all the series they have... All the stores around here quit selling M2s, GLs and JLs... Hot Wheels and Matchbox flood the shelves... Walmart still stocks M2s and Johnnys, but at a high price... The Drivers series are 3.48 each as well as the Johnnys... That I can deal with I guess... But the higher up Auto-Thentics and opening hood and door cars are a crazy 5.88 each... That's way too high for me to pay anymore... Once in awhile I can find M2s at a Kroger Super Store for much cheaper... Opening hood and door M2s for 3.99 and Drivers for 2.99... Much better at a Kroger... Don't figure...
I think I'm leaning more towards the Drivers with out the opening doors... I like the hoods to open, but can do with out that feature...
Any brand 1/64 diecast cars with opening doors are kinda funky for me... Some don't stay closed and others don't line up right... Too big of gaps around them too... Like I say, I love everything M2 has released so far... They are great fun switching parts around and customizing... I sincerley hope to see them be the champs of the diecast world, but 6 bucks a car at Walmarts is out of my budget from now on... What to you guys think ?

Go M2 !!!​

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I still buy M2s, but I'm much more selective in purchasing them.

The last M2s that I bought were the Wild Cards Studebaker tow trucks. There were 12 of them on the shelf at WAL*MART, and when I went back to buy two more, they were all gone. :(

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
I feel the same but I wait for sells or clearance sales, or swap meets....Like my current deals online were about $1 or 2 cheaper compare to Wally or TRU.....Now am hearing about Hobby Lot having them on sale...but I have to travel 40 miles, 80 total just to buy them at a cheaper price....as for doors on a 1/64?....I think its cool, but those doors gaps are getting to me too...I rather have just the Hood to open....Unless its a 1/18 then we're talking different here,but for an 1/64 I could care less for door.....to date I been a sucker to them only because it there and no others like it...:freak:...Boy! where's my JD....:lol:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I just paid 4.47 for a Hot Wheel upgraded series - Blvd or Hot Ones or some such series - with no opening doors, no opening hood, no taillights, no headlights (the grille was all black), etc and etc., and it still had a plastic base (I think). I could have bought an M2 Driver for less and had much better detail. But I don't collect M2 Drivers.

On the other hand, considering $5.88 vs $4.47 with opening doors, hood, all metal, headlights, taillights etc etc - I have no problem with that price. So I may end up buying a few less each time on my budget. My space will last a little longer and I enjoy them a whole lot more for the money I spent.

I did find an AutoZone that has a pretty good stock of diecast - mostly M2s for only $4.99. You better believe I will be checking that place out first from now on.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
This is another reason why I have cut down so much on mainline HW and MB, it leaves me more to work with for higher end stuff like M2 even if Wally-World is my main source for them. I've gotten more selective about M2 as well, just trying to cut back a bit in general and really trying to buy only what I really think I'll still enjoy having years from now.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I have really gotten into M2's recently. The first I ever bought was the junked Studebaker flatbed, and now my most recent is the Flamed Studebaker tow trucks, I bought both colors. The craftsmanship is top notch and while the price is a little higher, in my eyes well worth it.

I look at it like this, 5.88 and no crazy stupid tampos (PayDay Candy Bar) is better then 4.67 and having to remove the Pay Day Candy Bar tampo!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I wish they stayed in scale better. I was excited to see the '67 Firebird but it's huge compared to what it should be. I don't understand why Greenlight has to be the only company staying at 1:64. I would rather they all do it.
As far as detail, M2 is awesome. I don't care for opening doors though. I know I am the minority on that one but it's just a personal preference.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I buy the M2's I like and that's about it. I will not display any M2's on my dio though except for an apache 4x4 because they are all very big in comparison to my other cars on the dio. On the same token I will not display JL on my dio as they are all too small in comparison. I stick with Ertl trucks and GL as I feel they are up to par for detail and scale.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I myself love the M2's and I love the detail. But when I look at buying them I look for the ones that I really like, example the Patriot Series, I love those and bought the entire set. Same thing with the Wild Card Tow Trucks they are just fantastic. The price does keep me from buying them in the quantity that I do the Matchbox's, Hot Wheel's, etc.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I love M2's, and $5.88 is always what I paid for them. But then, I only have two places in the area that carry them, so it's pay their price or don't buy. I'd love to see more places around here carry them for a lower price point. Of course, I could go online for them, but since I usually only have the budget to buy one or two at a time, the shipping makes that a deal not worth following. And forget about chases or limited releases. I lucked out getting that 'cuda, plain and simple.

That's why I only have 16 of them (compared to HW, MB, and so on, which number in the hundreds...).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't mind paying 5-6 bucks for a good quality M2 or GL, what hurts me is when looking for a older release that i can only find on ebay, now i end up paying $6 for the car & another $6 for shipping = $12 total cost for the car, that's when it starts busting the budget a little just to get the one i wanted

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
As you already know Steve I have around 250 plus M2s. However these are the first M2s I have bought in some time. Yes the extra squeeze ($5.88) that wallymart has put on the diecast has really limited my purchases.

I found these 2 to worth the 5.88 each.

Sean & Co. did a great job with these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts