Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some resin figures in 1/24 for my "Jot 'em Down Store" project. A couple of them needed changes in their height. Unfortunately, these are model RR figures, not meant for us types to adapt... at least one arm is always part of the chest.

I was in the grocery store and happened to walk past the floss display... and a lightbulb went on over my head. I bought the unwaxed unflavored kind and brought it home, tried it out... nothing doing.

Then I got smart. I made a loop of the stuff, twisted and twisted and twisted it like the rubber band on an airplane, looped one end over one end of a pencil, the other over the other end, used my thumb and pinky to keep it on... and commenced sawing. Still nothing much, but I could tell I had more friction from the (tighter the better) twisting. So I kicked into high gear and did it as fast as I could... hey, if the floss breaks there's only like a zillion feet left, right? Moments later I saw what looked like smoke, a little bit, which I blew away. Soon, the trimming was done and the arms were loose from the torso. You have to switch angles but if you work at it you can usually find a way to follow the contour. Oh, and a toothpick wedge to keep the cut open is great.

I suspect that drilling tiny holes would allow car hoods or doors to be cut out of plastic models... thread it through the holes and do it slow enough not to melt anything.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,220 Posts
Sounds like too much work for me! :)

Hey, I just had the Walthers' catalog last week and i noticed they have those customizable figures in 1/24 -Adam and Eve. They come all seperated into torso and seperate limbs so you can pose them any way you want.

Scanning the Walther's site turned 'em up. Preiser makes 'em. But they're backordered till september.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?quick=1/24 figure&start=1170

1 - 3 of 3 Posts