Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd take a break from serious subjects (and frankly, waiting for the paint to dry on other models), so I did this "Yellow Submarine".

I wanted this screen look:

The paint chart called out for white for the tail and upper part of the body, but it is a "yellow" submarine, not a "yellow and white" submarine. So I decided to use three different shades of yellow. The results:

and

Instead of putting it on a shelf, I decided to hang it in the window where the wind can give a 360 effect.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thought I'd take a break from serious subjects (and frankly, waiting for the paint to dry on other models), so I did this "Yellow Submarine".

I wanted this screen look:

View attachment 307271

The paint chart called out for white for the tail and upper part of the body, but it is a "yellow" submarine, not a "yellow and white" submarine. So I decided to use three different shades of yellow. The results:

View attachment 307272

and

View attachment 307273

Instead of putting it on a shelf, I decided to hang it in the window where the wind can give a 360 effect.
Nice work!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the red stripe a decal or did you you have to paint it?
I wish the red stripe was a decal, it would have made it a lot easier.

(From doing a little research, there were some kits that provided the red stripe as a decal. I don't know if these were older kits or newer repops. If I remember correctly, the kits with the red stripe decal had the four cardboard Beatle figures included.)

Reactions: alpink

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the red stripe a decal or did you you have to paint it?
and
Since you had a paint chart, I assume this was from a kit ? Not familiar with it but it's very cool.
For those who have been asking--

Here's the kit:

The decals:

The paint chart:

I picked the kit up at a tag sale for about 8 dollars.
Also, I did away with the crank on the front because I thought it looked just silly.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Nicely Done!

Lou Dalmaso (aka Aztek Dummy) recently built the Yellow Submarine and he's developing a set of paint masks for the stripe and the portholes.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nicely Done!

Lou Dalmaso (aka Aztek Dummy) recently built the Yellow Submarine and he's developing a set of paint masks for the stripe and the portholes.
Rob
Iwata Padawan
Now you tell me. 😄

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob
Iwata Padawan
I should have added that I bought a set of masks for a Vostok I was building, but I couldn't figure out the placement of one of them (masks). I e-mailed a question about placement, and got [crickets] for an answer.

·
Administrator
26,969 Posts
....a none veiled reference to the person who was supposed to help us after the migration....

but you didnt hear it from me

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I should have added that I bought a set of masks for a Vostok I was building, but I couldn't figure out the placement of one of them (masks). I e-mailed a question about placement, and got [crickets] for an answer.
Vostok? Not aware Aztek Dummy produced a set of Vostok paint masks. I've never had a problem communicating with him; he usually answers in a day or so.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vostok? Not aware Aztek Dummy produced a set of Vostok paint masks. I've never had a problem communicating with him; he usually answers in a day or so.

Rob
Iwata Padawan
They did, because I bought them. It was just one sheet, though.

They came with no instructions (which I suppose is okay, because some kits I build have no English instructions), but I couldn't figure out the placement of one of them, and because of not getting a reply, discarded it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts