Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this when it was released but forgot about it.

Polar Lights DS9 Defiant.

Just about ready for the decals, and it is pretty much covered with decals so that will take a while.

Some seams still visible but this thing is tiny, got tired of working with magnifiers, the picture below is almost 2x the size of the model:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decals on this thing are terrible. The decals themselves are fine, it's the fact that many of them go over details on the hull that poke holes through the decals. It's also starting to look like a toy, hope that feeling goes away once everything blends together with a stain coat over everything.

A handful more to go and the decals will all be on, maybe this evening, can only deal with these tiny things for about an hour at a time.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm calling it on this one, it's a bit of a disappointment, but it's not one of my favorite ships so don't want to spend too much time on it.

The model is so detailed, if one wanted to spend the time to use paint instead of the decals for the panels it would look awesome.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does look fine on the shelf, working on it under 3 or 4 X magnification for hours at a time showed all the issues with the decals much more than with the naked eye from a few feet away.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did use softeners but there were some that needed to bend around multiple edges, and some that had surface details in the middle that were too tall for any decal to lay flat around. If I thought about it before wetting the decals I could have cut holes in them with a sharp blade while they were on the paper.....

Also this model is small, I tried to be careful and not handle it where there were unsealed decals but did do some accidental damage.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
It does look fine on the shelf, working on it under 3 or 4 X magnification for hours at a time showed all the issues with the decals much more than with the naked eye from a few feet away.
I feel your pain. I'm still working on the decals for the refit after a week! I do a section and then let it dry for a day before moving on. Like you I don't want to damage the decals that are already down. I'm also puzzled about the need for putting decals over decals. Why not just print them with all the markings?

The bottom line is your Defiant looks great! Nice job!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm also puzzled about the need for putting decals over decals. Why not just print them with all the markings?
It's for the few that would want to paint the aztecing or panel marks on and still use decals for the registry markings and windows. But I do remember thinking the refit had too many small color panel decals that didn't make sense and should have been on the aztecing decals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts