Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps, its me again the Newbie (err Oldie).

So I'm off hunting for tires for my old AFX cars, ranging from Magna-Traction to G-Plus'. And what do I find? There is alot out there if you know EXACTLY what you need. The world of replacement tires is actually exhausting, whether you are looking for performance or simply want original style "shoes".

But you guys (and gals?) already know this. Here's my main gripe about the whole business of it and its rather simple one.

Why the heck do we (they) use the Standard system of measurements instead of Metric? Is that a .466 tire or a .470? Oh, that one looks like a 3/8ths outside diameter with a 3/32nd width.......come on!

This whole business of measurements, especially in this small scale, is simply better using the Metric system - millimeters!!! It confounds me why were are so afraid of the Metric system, which is used world-wide. I suppose we are just stubborn. Here we are the greatest nation on Earth - able to annihilate anyone at a moment's notice - yet we resort to something so archaic as our own Standard methods of measurement.

OK, enough of my rant...but maybe someone can give me a logical reason for this.

Thoughts for your consideration,
:jest: J7

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There is no solid "logical" reason other than the initial costs associated with making the change from one system to another. These costs could be huge if forced to take place over a short period of time. Other than that the primary impediments are tradition, legacy, and nationalism.

Something to think about while you eat your 113.398 gram burger with cheese at Mickey D's.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
J7, I've had the same problem. I don't own a set of calipers yet.....although I've used them before when I worked at a spark plug factory. I don't know why people can't just say what fits a certain hub....then say stock,low profile,medium, or tall .... Wizzard does list thier tires in tire heghts such as low,medium, and tall ......you just have to know which particular style of tire (PVT #) that you're after first. You can call thier number and they will tell you what fits..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AfxToo : good call. Yes, I suppose the "costs" of immediate conversion would be great. But this certainly isn't anything new. I was well aware of the Metric system 30 years ago as a schoolboy. Amazingly, not much has changed there. I would figure "by now" we would have solved this really simple problem.

TX : I get the gist of Wizzard's (et al) low/medium/high profile tires. My question was more directed to forms of measement. Why are we (here in the US) so stubborn using fractions of an inch....when millimeters are so apparently simple as a form of measurement?...especially in such a small scale such as HO tires?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh AfxToo....I forgot to add this one:

Yes, it's much easier to say I want a Quarter-Pounder at Mickey D's......
But in reality it doesn't matter much if I use Standard or Metric measurements.....most often than not, the person taking my order does not speak English - so thats a completely different subject in itself!

J7

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Jester7 said:
Oh AfxToo....I forgot to add this one:

Yes, it's much easier to say I want a Quarter-Pounder at Mickey D's......
But in reality it doesn't matter much if I use Standard or Metric measurements.....most often than not, the person taking my order does not speak English - so thats a completely different subject in itself!

J7

LMAO, are you in Texas??? Down here I think I'm going to start using hand signs to start ordering my food from now on..... :jest:

and YES, I agree that there should be an easier way to order a set of tires. I'll admit that I'm lost too when I look at a webpage full of tires and all I see are numbers and measurements. Why can't things be easier??? I have no idea.....but they should be...after all, these are toy cars that we are racing :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts