Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some of the new 2013 cars and wondered what they were doing about the Regular T-Hunts. I just found out that the Breadbox is the regular Hunt. I have seen a few of those, picked them up and passed on it, not knowing that it was a Hunt. If it had a green stripe would I have bought it even though I wasn't that fussy about it? I would bet a months salary I would have. That , to me, tells me a lot about my collecting and motives. It kind of illustrates that while my intentions were, and are good, they have been somewhat misguided. I do believe that from this day on, I will buy what I like and leave the rest. That's one of the reasons I like the Matchbox line. No chase, no Hunts, just cool cars that you pick up and say " Yeah" Just a thought.:)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Supposedly it's that flame in a circle logo that denotes a "Treasure Hunt" (or more accurately, "chase car" since THs are gone). I'm wondering if the first runs of whatever model Mattel is denoting as a designated "chase car" will have the logo on them while subsequent runs of it won't (as I keep saying, just remember "Matchbox 2000"). What was found at Kmart came from low-lettered "R" cases which would back up the theory.

And you definitely have the right idea about these, as I'd imagine Mattel is HOPING most people think otherwise. What was a pegwarmer suddenly becomes a hard-to-find collectible just because of a single tampo. If I were one of the marketing geniuses at Mattel, I'd designate the 15 (or however many) worst selling castings to get the chase car treatment. Perfect way to help clear the pegs out and increase the bottom line.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't really notice anything on the car, but then again, I wasn't looking that hard. The circled flame logo is on the card under the car.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked into it more and you are correct. The car does have the circled flame. I have also read that some, but not all the cards have the message.
Supposedly it's that flame in a circle logo that denotes a "Treasure Hunt" (or more accurately, "chase car" since THs are gone). I'm wondering if the first runs of whatever model Mattel is denoting as a designated "chase car" will have the logo on them while subsequent runs of it won't (as I keep saying, just remember "Matchbox 2000"). What was found at Kmart came from low-lettered "R" cases which would back up the theory.

And you definitely have the right idea about these, as I'd imagine Mattel is HOPING most people think otherwise. What was a pegwarmer suddenly becomes a hard-to-find collectible just because of a single tampo. If I were one of the marketing geniuses at Mattel, I'd designate the 15 (or however many) worst selling castings to get the chase car treatment. Perfect way to help clear the pegs out and increase the bottom line.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have seen some of the new 2013 cars and wondered what they were doing about the Regular T-Hunts. I just found out that the Breadbox is the regular Hunt. I have seen a few of those, picked them up and passed on it, not knowing that it was a Hunt. If it had a green stripe would I have bought it even though I wasn't that fussy about it? I would bet a months salary I would have. That , to me, tells me a lot about my collecting and motives. It kind of illustrates that while my intentions were, and are good, they have been somewhat misguided. I do believe that from this day on, I will buy what I like and leave the rest. That's one of the reasons I like the Matchbox line. No chase, no Hunts, just cool cars that you pick up and say " Yeah" Just a thought.:)
Ya know, I've only been collecting for a short time but I'm with you. I only collect cars I think are cool. I don't pass up on $upers though as they make excellent trade bait for cars that I do want w/o having to resort to high eBay prices. There's also nothing wrong in the "chase" itself as it represents a fun activity to pass the time. At times it can be quite cathartic for me to just get in the car and drive around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's part of it as well. Mostly boredom and getting out and meeting other collectors. I too, would never walk away from a Super. Like you said, even if it is one I'm not totally crazy about, it makes for good trade bait to get the ones I want.
Ya know, I've only been collecting for a short time but I'm with you. I only collect cars I think are cool. I don't pass up on though as they make excellent trade bait for cars that I do want w/o having to resort to high eBay prices. There's also nothing wrong in the "chase" itself as it represents a fun activity to pass the time. At times it can be quite cathartic for me to just get in the car and drive around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I also only get cars I like, TH or not. I have passed on a few THs in the past because they didn't do anything for me, but not now. If I find one now - which I haven't for a long long time - I will buy it just for the trade value to get something I REALLY want.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
If it had a green stripe would I have bought it even though I wasn't that fussy about it? I would bet a months salary I would have. That, to me, tells me a lot about my collecting and motives. It kind of illustrates that while my intentions were, and are good, they have been somewhat misguided. I do believe that from this day on, I will buy what I like and leave the rest.
Congratulations my good man... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Think about it, the collectors of hw are so out of control, that they had to change twice the way they package the chases, reaaaal civilized.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Think about it, the collectors of hw are so out of control, that they had to change twice the way they package the chases, reaaaal civilized.
The end of the world must be near because we agree again. I just find it really hilarious that somebody would put a car back and once it dawns on them that it's "rare and collectible", they freak out and run back, hoping it's still there. That whole issue is the most entertaining topic here in a while.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Exactly..at 3 pm on the peg.."what an ugly bread box"...5pm ,after reading ht.."god, i hope it's still there, please, dear god, let it be there"

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny how we are conditioned to buy what is "special" even though we don't particularly care for it. Like I said, it opened my eyes a lot.
Exactly..at 3 pm on the peg.."what an ugly bread box"...5pm ,after reading ht.."god, i hope it's still there, please, dear god, let it be there"

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
The reason Mattel did this was to eliminate the scalpers who get to open a case before most of us do and any store workers who are trained to look for the green stripe.
Now it looks like you will have to look at every car in the case carefully to either see if will have rubber tires or that flame logo

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
The reason Mattel did this was to eliminate the scalpers who get to open a case before most of us do and any store workers who are trained to look for the green stripe.
Now it looks like you will have to look at every car in the case carefully to either see if will have rubber tires or that flame logo
Has nothing to do with that one person takes everything, or the resale value?
I think they changed it because ,quite frankly, thier collectors have embarrased them over and over, i mean ,come on, the tru employees here make fun of the hw door warmers to thier faces..

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Has nothing to do with that one person takes everything, or the resale value?
I think they changed it because ,quite frankly, thier collectors have embarrased them over and over, i mean ,come on, the tru employees here make fun of the hw door warmers to thier faces..
They changed the whole program because I made a phone call to China and said listen up folks - listen closely - we have a new program that starts today and it is a little blue circle with a flame inside it that we are going to apply to the cars body as a tampo, so no more green stripes on the blister packs that say TAKE ME, TAKE ME as that is now going to be another series called FOOLED YA STOCKER / SCALPER for taking everyone you see while you peg up each car from the case. :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts