Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Great photo Mountain :thumbsup: of a very fine casting.There are noticable shade variations on the blue and the gold (also hollow and solid superfast wheels),also the color of the luggage varies from dark brown to red-brown.With its plastic baseplate it is also a popular target for baseplate swaps to create the blue Superfast and the gold regular wheel although some collectors say that these 2 variations exist only as fakes ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
thanks for the comments :thumbsup: i do feel fortunate to have obtained these models when the came out or a few years after they were issued. don't know if i could do it today :(

SMS88, like the reg wheeled, i believe the sf came with/without the tow hook tab. i added a couple of photos of the A.I.M. coding books from the seventies/eighties. these have been so helpful over the years :)

i also have doubts about the blue sf and gold or silver reg. i also have doubts about some of the other rare models.
one thing i do like is i don't believe somebody knows everything, which makes collecting a no ending hobby :)
i mainly collect late sixties to around 1980 and always like to find more information about these models.
i may not comment on all the posts, but i do look at them all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Mountain - the guys over on mboxcommunity.com had a debate about these LandRovers in 2006 which can be found in their archive.The conclusion was that all the silver models are fakes, gold regular wheels are fakes and most but not all blue SF are fakes or factory friday afternoon specials- interesting reading from some big names in US Lesney collecting.
Those guys have even a few found errors and many omissions in the ´Stannard ´bible .
Gold SF without tow hook tab- please show a photo if you have one - this would be an almost unique example of Lesney undoing a modification because the RW baseplate tool was given a tow tab before it was changed to accept the plastic clips that holds on SF wheels. Christian Falkensteiner shows a gold SF with wide wheels on his database but not the negative rear base tab.
Lesney moulded plastic components and small metal parts (like doors and hoods)in groups of 4 (see casting numbers 1,2,3,4 on the insides) so it is possible that one segment of the tool was not changed -we can all see tool differences on the hoses of 50% of 35 and 57 Firetrucks for example

·
Registered
517 Posts
SMS88, who knows the exact answer about the land rovers, i'll go with not legitimate issues too :)
like i said i don't believe there is a an expert, place a number of collectors of anything in a room and somebody will know something somebody else doesn’t know. did that make sense :drunk:

i always notice that when a model would be released in the seventies, shortly after that somebody would find a "rare" variation. which can happen, but with the same person most of the time? everybody would run around trying to find these "rare" variations. they would eventually be for sale and who do you think would have them for sale ;) ;)
there are some well know yesteryears that fall into this category too :)
i recall hal colpitts being offered a gross lot of a rare yesteryear. he did not purchase them because of the high price, where are they now :)

castings can be a never ending challenge, possibility of over one hundred combinations :)
sorry don't have the land rover variation :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A couple of guys on the other site said that when they collected in the early 1970s they had a connection at the Lesney factory who would make ´friday afternoon specials´to order.I am sure they are not the only ones, so these YY and the collector who always found rare stuff that you mention were either connected to the backdoor of the factory or skillful fakes or both.
I am just pleased to hear collectors from early 70s tell us about the connections and what went on back then,I believe them when they say 100% of silver LandRovers are fakes, as are most blue SF and all gold RW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts