Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished repainting a beater Frantic Ferrari with Tamiya Italian Red paint, touched up the mags, found a donar motor, and am just about finished.
Problem is the windshield had been broken in two and glued back together. I can't leave it as is because the crack shows. Other than painting it black, is there some type of a smoke/tint color paint I could use? And do you think the crack will still show if I paint it?
Thanks for your help.

Oh, and for you spray can painters, try using the Tamiya paints. Lots of colors, and it spreads like melted butter. I haven't put a clearcoat on this yet and the shine in awesome. It's a little pricey at about $4.50 for a small can, but looks to be worth it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You can try to make new "glass" out of a blister. With a little practice it will work very well. :wave:

tom larson

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Unfortunately Bill the crack is permanent.
Sounds like a cool custom you have going,try using some of the plastic from a blisterpack,lay it over the original windshield,and using a finetip sharpie trace the shape to the plastic..Cut it out, and wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove the marker line..Check the fit,trim as needed, and then superglue in the casting(it's best if you go to the automotive department at wal-mart, and get a tube of 3M plastic emblem&trim adhesive),(use a toothpick to apply a thin bead around the inside edge where the windshield fits)carefully install the plastic,once this adhesive dries it's permanent...."homemade replacement glass".

Good luck my friend!

Jeff Fleetwood

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Check www.hotworldcustoms.com there is a section called "making glass" down the toolbar on the left - Sini, the author walks you through the whole process.

Dip

PS check out our all custom message board as well.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I clicked on,"Glass" and found some good info.
I love the "Custom Glass"section right below it. :thumbsup:
I just love your site,period!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an awesome sight! Lots of great info there. Thanks to all for the ideas. Hopefully it'll be finished soon & I'll try a pic.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Anyone know how to take decorations ( e.g. DUB City or Playerz) off of a clear plastic windshield without damaging the clear plastic? I've used non acetone nail polish remover to remove the garbage that they put on the car bodies, and that works great, but need advice on the windshield. I don't want to cut my own windshields as mentioned in the posts above. I want to use the windshield that came with the car.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
A wide variety of Tamiya paints can be found at your local Hobby stores.
ie:Hobbytown USA,Bobs discount hobby crap,Slobby Nobby Hobbies, ect.....;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts