Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
I wish they'd kept the Enterprise pretty much the same as on TV except with some hyper-detailing and such. After it was destroyed in STIII, 1701A could have been something more drastic as presented in the movies.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Someone should do special editions of the first three movies replacing the movie version 1701 with a hyper-detailed (Jein version?) TOS 1701. THAT would be cool!

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Richard Compton said:
I do believe it was meant as a straight refit. The differences in proportions just looked nice to them, they weren't trying to justify it to the superfans! :) You ever watch that show Pimp My Ride on MTV? This was sort of like Pimp My Starship.
I agree. The refit used idealized proportions from the original ship.

However, it would be interesting to see a retro-fitted version of the TOS 1701 using the exact proportions inherent in the refit.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
ThomasModels said:
I'd like to think the original Phase II (not that BBMM abomination being passed around as the Phase II) was to have Bussard Collectors with a lighting pattern similar or exact to the warp core in TMP. A blue/white (red/orange?) fluxuating effect behind the entire forward end dome.
I've got some artwork from an old Starlog magazine showing a preproduction illustration of the Phase II version of the ship with the secondary hull registration numbers and such. I'll check that for signs of an effect there. I don't remember anything there, however, I don't think I ever looked for it.

I've seen a poster version of the ST:TMP ship that has a bunch of details wrong but seems to indicate some sort of effect on the nacelles there.

I'd like to think there'd have been an effect there as well. I'd love to be able to document such for a Phase II model kit. As pointed out, the line is definitely there for it. It'd be a cool effect to have.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
I've got some artwork from an old Starlog magazine showing a preproduction illustration of the Phase II version of the ship with the secondary hull registration numbers and such . . .
Well, I'm flummoxed. :confused: I know I've seen it somewhere but it wasn't in the old Starlog magazine -- I looked and that was the early TMP version with vents.

Edit:

Found it! Page 61 of The Art of Star Trek. It's an earlier version of the Mike Minor illustration that appeared in Starlog. It shows a dish antenna, a couple of indentions under the saucer, STOS style insignia and lettering but no effect at the front of the nacelles. Of course, it doesn't really show the effect from the sides of the engines, similar to the movie effect, either so it's not conclusive.

Then again, the fronts of the nacelles of the model being build look solid so the major lighting effect may have been just the sides of the nacelles.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Lloyd Collins said:
Your mention about the Bussards lighting, they would have to be red. If you think about it ,TOS,STNG,and the other series all have red so I believe a standard was been set that need to be kept.
Definitely. Though all we have is one inaccurate poster's suggestion of an effect on the front of the nacelle so far, I don't think it's much of a stretch to include one there in addition to the blue effect behind it.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Lloyd Collins said:
Mark,

An update. I found it. Star Trek The Magazine, December 2001 issue on the STMP Director's Edition. On page 84, redesigning the 1701, "He goes on to say that he had actually prepared drawings that showed the ENTERPRISE with flat nacelles when he'd originally created the ship. He had planned to present then if Gene didn't like the first version of the ENTERPRISE he saw but since they hadn't been needed he'd filed them away for future use. These drawings provided the basis for his redesign."

I knew I could find but not this fast. I am glad Gene picked what is our favorite starship. :thumbsup:

Lloyd :wave:
Thanks for clarifying that, Lloyd! I was curious about that, too! Fascinating little tidbit, there.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
There would have been a blue lighting effect similar to TMP in the engine nacelle sides (inner and outer) as well. There is a sketch in the PII book indicating that blue-green light would have been visible through the brass 'slats' similar to the TMP engines. There's also a notation making the 'power pod' inset rather than protruding.

There's no real indication other than the one poster that I've seen of an effect at the front. The model under construction seems to contraindicate a lighting effect there. However, the delineations are clearly visible where, if there were to be a clear/frosted area for lighting, they would be.

Has anyone else found any references besides the one poster that may support a lighting effect there?

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Okay, I have a possible reference to nacelle dome lights:

PII, p.72, top reproduced memo dated 12/6/77:

'On engline pods [sic] add lights add either a "chaser light" system, or some other light effect to act as a "heat/energy field" when the ship is in flight.'

This note is made after TPTB looked at the existing model then under construction. It is also after the notes made on the sketch made some 6 months before by Jefferies indicating the blue-green nacelle lighting effects on the sides. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that this was an additional lighting effect and there'd be no other likely place to put it than the engine domes. In addition, the suggestion of 'chaser light system' would also harken back to the flickering lights in the domes of the TOS engines so that I have no real doubt as to that being what was suggested.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Lloyd Collins said:
Thanks PerfesserCoffee, I have that book and never read that memo until now. I was looking in the magazine on STMP, and saw a promo poster that used the Phase II ship on it. The nacelle lights look blue. So I am still confused.
What the ship would have looked like in final form is, unless we get more definitive info, anybody's guess.

My guess is that, after reading that memo, there would have been a lighting effect in the engine domes (in addition to the TMP like effect on all four sides of the nacelles). Probably would have been some sort of chaser like effect in the domes similar to, though due to shape obviously not exactly like, the TOS effect. Perhaps, as Thomas suggested, a fluctuating effect similar to the warp core in TMP since that stayed pretty consistent from PII to TMP.

I'd go with the reddish/orange look since that was reintroduced in TNG and indicates a possible nostalgia or attempt at consistency among TPTB at the time. :confused:

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
Bay7 said:
During the released construction photo's of the 1701 E, you could have been forgiven for thinking that the engines would have been un-lit.
I think they were originally intended to be unlit at the front. There were notes at the beginning to the effect on the sides much like the TMP engine glow strips -- that being the only lit engine part as originally intended.

I think the memo six months later means they would have added an additional lighting effect at the front of the nacelles.

I'm not an expert but the PII construction photo's make it look like the ship being built would be the master from which the moulds are made.
You may be right but I'm pretty sure that was the final ship being constructed, the moulds having already been mastered, created, and used.

I know this could be discussed until the cows come home but i kninda enjoy it - it's a bit like archaeology.
Agreed. It is fascinating stuff.

If only someone could get hold of the original plans/moulds.....

Has anyone thought of contacting Brick Price? I don't like his so called PII but he did have/have access to the original parts didn't he?
'Twould be nice :hat:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.