Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been curious as to why people purposely take kits and mix parts together and make some wierd mutant. As cool as some of them may be, I dont see the logic in taking a perfectly good kit, often one that is very expensive, and then buying several more, and trying to change the parts so that they fit together. Can anyone explain to me why people do this, instead of making a perfectly good kit that might actually be recognized by the general public?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Well I guess in a nutshell .............
It's their model(s) and they can do pretty much what they want to do with them. :) "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder" ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I, untill recently subscribed to this way of thought, but sometimes its the only way to get the result you want if certain things aren't available to you. It also depends on who you are building the kit for. i think most of us build for ourselves, so we are not really building them for the general public, in turn not really concerned what the general public think. I am about to embark on my first "kitbash" myself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand perhaps adding a few details to a model if you have the ability. But for me, even though my models aren't going to be for the entire public, I like to make something that will be recognized, and I can take pride in saying that I did it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have always been curious as to why people buy clothes that are different from everyone else. I don't see the logic in everyone dressing differently.

Can anyone explain to me why people do this, instead of just everyone dressing the same as the general public?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Some modelers want to build an accurate replica of someone else's design, others want to be a bit more creative. Kitbashing is easier than starting completely from scratch. As I've said before, chacun a son gout.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Four Mad Men said:
I have always been curious as to why people buy clothes that are different from everyone else. I don't see the logic in everyone dressing differently.

Can anyone explain to me why people do this, instead of just everyone dressing the same as the general public?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, one thing the old science-fiction movies got wrong was the enormous surge of popularity for matching jumpsuits.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
It's called "creativity."

Some people look at a block of marble and see a rock.
Then there's Michelangelo....

And one thing I never use is "expensive" models. I use Ertl Trek models I got for $15 to $25 each.

·
Curmudgeon
6,598 Posts
John P said:
It's called "creativity."

Some people look at a block of marble and see a rock.
Then there's Michelangelo....
Well said. For most modelers, I think it's simply a way to exercise their creative side; for others, it's the pride in knowing they've created something unique, something nobody else has.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I find kitbashing to be a challenge. I admire the work of other kitbashers who can come up with a design that looks "canon". In my opinion thats the appeal. One day I will build a standard kit, but right now I have too many ideas in my head to not indulge myself.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
For me it's because of the creativity factor in kitbashing. I can say "I made this!" with a definite nod to the original design, but with my own creativity thrown in. For me, it's fun - which is what this hobby is all about.

Why knock something that someone else has done, anyhow? If they're happy with it, that's what counts. The only time anyone elses opinion should really matter to the artist/builder is when it's being entered in to a contest - and then only the judges thoughts and opinions count.

"Build what you like, the way that you like and t' heck with what anyone else thinks!" is my motto. It's fun, I like it and if you like it, too, then bonus for me. I build for me - unless hired to build for someone else. I've not built for anyone else in quite some time, so building for me is pretty much it.

To thos who don't like what I build - I don't really much care 'cause I didn't build it for you. ;)

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Another reason, is why build ten Enterprises? Their is only one, and if you add/change/subtract parts, you get to see a new/different ship. who wants a room full of the same ship?

nx-o1troubles, I say give it a try. If you want to see some amazing ships, download John P's Calendar. Now that is Kitbashing!

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
I find some kitbashes to be too obvious so I think I know a little of what NX-01 is talking about.

Some are incredible works of art and usually use the bits and pieces of other kits in new and integrated ways so that it doesn't look like each half of the model is itself half of another model.

When I kitbash, I use a lot of putty and put things together in an attempt to make them look like they go together. That has been very hard for me to do and some bash projects just don't look right and never get completed. When one comes together, however, there is not a better feeling in the world.

I especially like it when the model kit components are not even recognizable once they're all put together.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Most movie models used kit parts on them somewhere, but they were the tiny bits, or used in a way to make them unrecognizable. Prop guys had big bins full of kit parts to make whatever they needed. Sometimes they found something that added to the look of the thing. On the other hand gluing a bunch of tank bogies and engine blocks onto a soap bottle is not that hard.
When I first bought Luke Skywalkers X-wing a friend asked if I kitbashed it, because you could see the kit parts all over it.
That is what the cgi is lacking. Computers don't have a big bin full of kit parts to choose from. Maybe they should scan some in.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts