Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a 1/24 purple Challenger in the new box last night - no price came up on the scanner - WM said that they can't sell it to me and that it was on the shelf by mistake. They said the manufacturer has a set time to sell them, and that WM doesn't know the date yet.

I can't imagine a logical reason for a company to forbid sales of its new products. Does anyone here have any insight or explanation of this bold new concept in marketing?!?

It's a weird feeling to be standing at the checkout with cash in hand, and they won't let you buy a product that you really want. It's beyond the Twilight Zone; it feels almost anti-capitalist!! ;) :rolleyes: :confused:
(maybe I was on Candid Camera)

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Same thing happened to me last night with the same car! That Challenger is SWEEET, too! The checkout girl even called over a manager - still couldn't sell it to me. :( Also on the shelf was the '65 Mustang Fastback.

I did have a curious find at this particular WM - Gold Series, Release 2 cars. I thought these were TRU exclusives. The kicker - $1.00 each!! They had 5 of the 6 cars (no yellow Superbird). An extra Ford GT and '66 Charger came along with the other 5. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DadsCoronet said:
Same thing happened to me last night with the same car! That Challenger is SWEEET, too! The checkout girl even called over a manager - still couldn't sell it to me. :( Also on the shelf was the '65 Mustang Fastback.

I did have a curious find at this particular WM - Gold Series, Release 2 cars. I thought these were TRU exclusives. The kicker - $1.00 each!! They had 5 of the 6 cars (no yellow Superbird). An extra Ford GT and '66 Charger came along with the other 5. :thumbsup:
Wow - you scored a great deal - I would've felt a lot better about leaving the Challenger behind if I had found some of those Gold Series cars to buy, for a dollar each - Congratulations on your consolation purchase!! There were only some older 1/64 reg.releases to be found where I was; just the ones I already have. Oh, well...

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If this happens, I assume that they will place this car in lay-away for you so that you will be assured of getting it when it goes on sale?

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
I think it is a new policy that the stock boys convinced the managers to enact.

Stock boys must confirm that there are no chase cars in the box before they can be sold to the general public. Why else can you buy 1 car from the box and not another?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PWSchuh said:
If this happens, I assume that they will place this car in lay-away for you so that you will be assured of getting it when it goes on sale?
That would be nice - I hadn't thought of it - but I remember seeing bright orange signs on all of the checkout lanes last night that state that WM no longer puts stuff on lay-away for anybody.

So they would have said no to that, too. I guess I just won't get my purple Challenger.

I'm not going to haunt that WM just to see when it goes on sale. It's too far away anyway!

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
It is true, WM does not have layaways any longer... 2006 was the last year, they want you to get their credit card and use that instead

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I forgot to mention earlier, in addition to finding those one dollar Gold Series cars, I also scored on clearance, the 1970 Challenger from Coke Calendar Cars 2005. When I was building my red, white & blue collection a fellow HT member (sorry, can't remember who) mentioned this car as it is r w & b and is decent looking despite the tampos. Never saw it on the bay or elsewhere before. The card is banged up and the rear left wheel is broken, but I open most of my JLs and I have a donor car for the same wheel. :thumbsup:
It's going to be a beauty when I'm done.

photo courtesy jlcollector.com

A question for you customizers: for the hard plastic wheels, is it possible to remove a wheel from an axle and pop it onto an axle without breaking it? My guess is I will probably have to swap axles altogether......

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
well, in the case of the "Can't sell Retro Rods, but Can Sell Gold Series" that are in the same box is that they are 2 different lines of JL's packed in the same Asst. box. Mistake on WM's part? no, Mistake on RC2's part? Yes. Shouldn't of packed 2 release date series in the same asst.

Alot of products are not supposed to go out onto the shelf until certain dates.

Video's not to be put out until Tuesday's, Music Cd's same way (i think tuesday also).

Ever saw set of Cars, or the box they came in? said don't put out until after movie release.

Im sure theres tons and tons more others out there that follow the same "only put out a certain date" routine.

Reason they can't sell it is due to the fact of that if its not in the system, they can't, or should i say shouldn't atleast. Comming from a guy that runs a distribution warehouse, it would severly screw up inventory.

Nothing worse than someone saying. "Oh i can't figure out what this is, so i'll sell it as a misc item" and then come to sell that last of said item which computer says you have, and viola... not there. Or better yet "Ok lets see what toys I have to order... ok system says i have 12 JL's... nah i'll wait till next ordering time" when theres only 2 hanging on the peg.

As far as the reason of why JL would hold off on the release of something? I do not know, but it is there decision. It is possible they didn't want to flood the pegs with new product and have another dry spell. IE "Ok we will release the Classic Gold and MCUSA... then we will wait 2 weeks and then release the Retro Rods... then in a month will release such and such" Rather than throw them all out there at once, sell them all, and have nothing to fill the pegs again for another 1.5-2 months (called illusion, you keep going back and seeing a little bit more new stuff thinking "wow they are really getting them out" rather than going in once seeing all the new stuff, getting what you like all at once, and thats it for a long time again)

My 442 cents

·
Registered
971 Posts
CenterShock said:
I think it is a new policy that the stock boys convinced the managers to enact.
Stock boys must confirm that there are no chase cars in the box before they can be sold to the general public. Why else can you buy 1 car from the box and not another?
Good one :thumbsup: I found the opposite at a nearby WM... Finally found the 66 Nova in 1/24th, but the only one they had wore white wheels & tires! :freak:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I found some of the Gold Series at WM that wouldn't come up when scanned. Cashier said she couldn't help me because there was nobody working in the Toy Department to ask for advice. As Darkwiz said, I got disgusted and left. Course I'm a JL sucker, so I'll be back for more.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
I also scored on clearance, the 1970 Challenger from Coke Calendar Cars 2005.....
A question for you customizers: for the hard plastic wheels, is it possible to remove a wheel from an axle and pop it onto an axle without breaking it? My guess is I will probably have to swap axles altogether......
Wow - nice find. There were several from that release that I missed out on the first time that I wish I could find. Hopefully they will be out again.

As for your question, I have had no luck taking a plastic wheel off the axle. I've also had crummy luck trying to take an axle out to replace with another. Seems like alot of cars have a small tab over the axle opening "holding" the axle down. That would need to be ground off to remove the axle. I ended up bending the axle all up trying to get it out. IMO, it's better to swap an entire base out, especially if you are doing RR's.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
I forgot to mention earlier, in addition to finding those one dollar Gold Series cars, I also scored on clearance, the 1970 Challenger from Coke Calendar Cars 2005. When I was building my red, white & blue collection a fellow HT member (sorry, can't remember who) mentioned this car as it is r w & b and is decent looking despite the tampos. Never saw it on the bay or elsewhere before. The card is banged up and the rear left wheel is broken, but I open most of my JLs and I have a donor car for the same wheel. :thumbsup:
It's going to be a beauty when I'm done.

photo courtesy jlcollector.com

Mark, if you're talking about the wheel and not the tire, yes, you can remove it. Turn the car on its side and you'll see little slots, usually 3, on the inside of the tire. I use a small jeweler's screwdriver and very easy just push against the backside of the chrome wheel which you can see through the slot. You may have to rotate the tire and punch through all three slots but they always pop out. Too much pressure though and you puncture the the wheel.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Dadvball said:
Mark, if you're talking about the wheel and not the tire, yes, you can remove it. Turn the car on its side and you'll see little slots, usually 3, on the inside of the tire. I use a small jeweler's screwdriver and very easy just push against the backside of the chrome wheel which you can see through the slot. You may have to rotate the tire and punch through all three slots but they always pop out. Too much pressure though and you puncture the the wheel.
Thanks, Bill. I have to swap the whole wheel/tire. The wheel that came with the car is just the hollow shell with the backside cracked - it's garbage. Gonna have to try to swap axle assemblies. Can't do a base swap because the donor car is a '53 Buick Super.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
BluntFronts said:
Found a 1/24 purple Challenger in the new box last night - no price came up on the scanner - WM said that they can't sell it to me and that it was on the shelf by mistake. They said the manufacturer has a set time to sell them, and that WM doesn't know the date yet.

I can't imagine a logical reason for a company to forbid sales of its new products. Does anyone here have any insight or explanation of this bold new concept in marketing?!?

It's a weird feeling to be standing at the checkout with cash in hand, and they won't let you buy a product that you really want. It's beyond the Twilight Zone; it feels almost anti-capitalist!! ;) :rolleyes: :confused:
(maybe I was on Candid Camera)
I saw the same car on the shelf at a local store. Didn't even think to try and scan it, but the last time I did that, the scanner said "see an associate for help" but the cash register said "$3.96". :D

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I have to add that it's utterly stupid for a company like walmart not to get their computer systems in order. I don't blame RC2 for this. Walmart knows when the stock should be put out for sale I'll bet. I'll also bet they didn't get a mass update to their computer systems to allow them all to be sold at all of their stores on the same day.

Why wouldn't you be able to buy them anytime they show up at the store if they were available online for a while already? Is there a window that the online sellers are supposed to get before it's available at the mass market outlets?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
Why wouldn't you be able to buy them anytime they show up at the store if they were available online for a while already? Is there a window that the online sellers are supposed to get before it's available at the mass market outlets?
only OLD i see that has the retro rods is Russ, but thats only the Camaro... don't see any of the rest of the set (*ehem 442*) anywhere, not even on the bay

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Nope, only retro rods out so far have been in the assortment, no full sets, they are coming in January, we will have them then - all of them

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
Nope, only retro rods out so far have been in the assortment, no full sets, they are coming in January, we will have them then - all of them
*looks at calander*

well... its january

*taps feet*

:D :tongue:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts