Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The prices that Walthers and RaceMasters charge on their web site for their front line products sold to end consumers at retail are definitely skewed on the high end of the high side. I believe this is done out of consideration for their normal distribution and sales channels. They do not intended to compete directly against the retail distribution and sales channels that represent the bulk of their sales.

In other words. if you are looking for Life-Like products or Tomy products at competitive prices, don't expect to find them directly from the manufacturer's web sites. However, both companies do offer "blow out" and "excess inventory" sales from time to time and these are a boon to end customers who are able to take advantage of the deals and still come out way ahead even after they factor in the shipping costs. Selection is limited.

The only beef I've ever had with Life-Like in the pricing area is that I personally do not see a T-chassis equipped Life-Like car as being on par with a Super G+ equipped Tomy car, yet LL tries to compete at the same price point as Tomy. I believe the SG+ chassis is a big step up over the LL-T due to the serviceability, wide availability of standard service parts, broad tunability, and much more sophisticated design. Even though the SG+ is closing in on being a 20 year old design it is still an amazing piece of engineering for its target market. The Life-Like T-chassis is faster by virtue of its brutal magnetic signature and hotter arm, but it still comes across as a cost reduced, "throw it away when the the wheels stop turning" design. My opinion notwithstanding, Life-Like believes its T-chassis based cars are every bit as good as anything Tomy offers and price their products accordingly. It's their choice.

Incidentally, I also see the SRT as a step down from the SG+, and again it's the serviceability and design issue, not performance. If performance were the only important factor, we would have junked all of our TJets years ago. But the TJet's primary strength and attraction is its serviceability and tunability - plus the fact that we are all getting older and slower and can't keep up with the fast cars.

In summary, there's nothing at all unusual about the pricing here. You'll see the same thing over at AFX RaceMasters, with retail prices for new front line SRT, SG+, and MG products ranging from $26 to $36. If you want a better prices, go to a good hobby shop or look around for a decent online retailer. You would be hard pressed to find anyone charging the same as the manufacturer's direct prices.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
If performance were the only important factor, we would have junked all of our TJets years ago. But the TJet's primary strength and attraction is its serviceability and tunability - plus the fact that we are all getting older and slower and can't keep up with the fast cars.

AFX,
So true. :lol: rr

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In summary, there's nothing at all unusual about the pricing here. You'll see the same thing over at AFX RaceMasters, with retail prices for new front line SRT, SG+, and MG products ranging from $26 to $36.
The $25 price on the website is to be expected. What I found shocking is that it appears that the 6 car lineup shown is being sold at $50 a car! However, Randy may be correct in that you probably get 2 of each, making the cost $25 per car.

I don't see the enticement (under normal circumstances) to get the assortment if the price per car isn't any cheaper than buying them individually.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts