Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like your Johnny Lightning product enough so, I set down 3 other brands in the store,to acommodate your pricing for one JL.

I did this today because your prices only allow me to carry and spend a very limited amount of cash.(otherwise, I might as well sign my bank account, over to you.)

* note: (Please don't think for a second, that I'm some "Johnny-come-lately" cheapskate, penny pincher & habitual whiner.
I have spent many ,many dollars on Johnny Lightning,since it's original conception.
This is a new spending policy I have adopted, since you've re-launched and re-priced.)

ANYWAY....

I took home my Classic Gold,'55 Lincoln Futura today,only to discover the wheels don't turn.
Your Chinese factory workers seem to be getting very repetitious at crimping only one side of the axles.This practice causes the other wheel on the axle to jam up into the wheelwell,rendering it completely useless.

If that wasn't bad enough,this is the third time,on this seies'car that I've seen it's (window) canopy unattached and flopping around.(in this case) it fell completely off, as I took it out of the ( bulletproof ) packaging, to fix it.

I don't mind paying for a quality collectible car.
The operative word here is,"QUALITY."

I even don't mind fixing the "Quality" mistakes because I can.(to err is only human,right?)

However, if you insist on charging 4 bucks for a broken car,(cleverly hidden in a big plastic tomb,) please do me a favor....

1) Produce your cars with a screw on chassis and possibly a better/easier way to secure the axles,so I can fix them faster.

2.) lower the prices, for your broken collectibles, accordingly.

3.) pay me for for the time that I have to spend,fixing your messes.

4.) start initiating "QUALITY" to justify your outrageous pricing.

Realisticly,the only thing I really expect out of those four scenario's,is number 4.

Maybe,y'all could meet us collectors half-way and stop being so consistant at producing an overpriced, sub-quality diecast. (imho)

thank you for your attention to this matter,

Rob(Dog)

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
My reply to a thread with a similar concern....

CenterShock said:
Maybe if we all return the opened cars to the place where we bought them they may take notice. Stores take returns for all sorts of other quality issues, why not return diecast that is defective.

I know it could spark a huge rash of low lifes replacing good cars with junk but currently, nobody is held accountable for poor quality. Even if you notice a defect at a store and report it to the manager, it gets put back on the shelf. If they are returned opened, they will be more inclined to return it to RC2 or press them for better quality product.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea. :p

I remember the thread with the same concern.

For me,as stated, I don't have a problem fixing them...just not so damn many of em with the same issues.(and it has been quite a few)

plus,the waste of time driving, money, gas, time searching,exchange/return time and usually the hassle of finding the car initially,it's easier for me to fix them.

Easier yet,RC2 should hire a quality control inspector and address the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I concur. Its a real buzz kill to spend the money and get a bum car. I collect some lines of action figures and open the items to ensure they do what they're supposed to do and return the ones that are lousy. The hardest has to be for the guys who don't open their product and just hope for the best in case they ever do so down the road. It's easier to swallow on a 99 cent car. Less so on one that's now $4.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
An orange AMC that I bought over the weekend has one of the tires on crooked. That does not look all that great for a $4 item. I know I won't have as much cash to spend on other brands if I keep up pace with the new JLs. I agree w/Rob in this issue.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have left cars on the peg because of poor quality. Just could not bring myself to spend good money on a broken car. If I am paying $4+ for something I want quality period. I don't think that is so wrong.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I'm wondering a couple things. I hope it is taken as constructive by the powers that be.

1. Since the general view these days is for poor performing but more realistic rubber wheels is rollability (is that a word?) a secondary consideration now to looks?

2. Since the "collector" insists on carded items MOMC entombed in a lucite vault, is the feeling that the majority will never play with them so only the side showing in the blister requires attention and thus finish issues are not a concern as they once were?

3. Is the fact a watchdog like Al Pletcher was, seems now a distant memory so if "the barking dog does not bark" is the factory perhaps getting lazy and allows more slide by because there is no complaints from JL?

My gut thinks perhaps all ofthe above. I know another company who uses the same line has issues too and they are working on this.

I think a small screw takes out all these issues instead of rivits and since these are collectibles I imagine they can get around the infant toy rules? I too am more tolerant on the .75 blue card maker but considering the billions kicked out, I rarely see issues considering the increased odds so for 4.00 I too expect better.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I had a problem with a figure I bought at a Target, 1st no Targets in Canada and I can't justify driving three hours to return a $8.00 fig, so I called the number on the back of the package and after a 15 min converstion with the nice young lady ( she was actually very nice) then her boss, he threw every road block at me, finally I said "Ya know if I was talking to Hasbro or Mattel we wouldn't even be having this conversation, okay he said send me a proof of purchase and I'll see what I can do, no gaurentee he said that I would get the exact product you bought," fair enough I guess, so I mailed it away , 2 weeks letter get a letter fron ToyBiz and the letter said I would have to wait 4-6 weeks, oh well what am I gonna do ? Three days after the letter I get a priority package from Marvel Enterprises - one replacement (not same but just as cool) and even an extra - toatally caught me off guard. Anyway call the # on the back of the package if they have one, sorry for the long read. :wave:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
To kind of answer my own question in a tongue in cheek manner. If we all want totally realistic rubber wheeled cars in plastic dipped virgin cards, why complete the whole car? Why not cut them in half and get double the production out of the run, insert a mirrored piece of cardboard and sell them for 2.00 each. That way you only need to make half a perfect car. People could buy the left side variation and the right side variation.

Think of the possibilities!:p

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I think they have the package right now, it works. Now if they revisit quality for those who actually open their cars, we'll have a complete "package".

·
Registered
971 Posts
Mark Hosaflook said:
To kind of answer my own question in a tongue in cheek manner. If we all want totally realistic rubber wheeled cars in plastic dipped virgin cards, why complete the whole car? Why not cut them in half and get double the production out of the run, insert a mirrored piece of cardboard and sell them for 2.00 each. That way you only need to make half a perfect car. People could buy the left side variation and the right side variation.

Think of the possibilities!:p
Thats too funny :thumbsup:
I did see at a WM last week a 1/43rd scale diecast (I think it was the new vintage hot-rod type, Hot Rod Underground) that was "PIP" on one side, and "restored" on the other side. Heat sealed package, clear on both sides.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
NWovalfan said:
I did see at a WM last week a 1/43rd scale diecast (I think it was the new vintage hot-rod type, forget the name) that was "PIP" on one side, and "restored" on the other side. Heat sealed package, clear on both sides.
See, SEE! You thought I was crazy. Early design studio guys used that trick all the time inserting a mirror on half a clay mock up to speed up the process and save time.

We can call it the King Solomon Collection. Get it......get it?;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
NWovalfan said:
I did see at a WM last week a 1/43rd scale diecast (I think it was the new vintage hot-rod type, forget the name) that was "PIP" on one side, and "restored" on the other side. Heat sealed package, clear on both sides.
Those are the Wreckz to Rodz made by the now defunct Toy Zone company. I've only seen them once and they did a decent job for the price.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Mark Hosaflook said:
See, SEE! You thought I was crazy. Early design studio guys used that trick all the time inserting a mirror on half a clay mock up to speed up the process and save time.

We can call it the King Solomon Collection. Get it......get it?;)
Yes, yes I do; half a baby and all...

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Well Rob at least you can fall back on a Barris Batmobile blue card soon. With any luck for under a buck, you can open it up since billions will be made, roll it around 'til the wheels frickin fall off and make "Kapow, Biff, Wham" noises all day long. Yes in a few months die-cast life for at least us will be pretty darn fun again!:p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts