Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new idea I want to try. Involves a black and gold thing again. I have this bright gold from Floquil but I want to make it "not so bright". And maybe less metalic. I used it full strength for the Chitty car and thinned it 25% for the rally for the brush, but can I dull it for a gold look that is not screaming at you? I want a subtle look. Maybe mix it with black? This is a thing I want to try for my only second attempt with the brush. And I will need to dull some white as well come to think of it. I know in my heart I cant do whats in my head but why not give it a try? Its a type of true flames idea but not exactly flames. Not so much a ghost look but not so loud.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I only use rattlecan so I can't help you w/ paint mixing. My skill at painting things like flames is sorely lacking too, but I thought I'd mention you might try using a toothpick in place of a brush. It's more like using an ink pen than painting and may help you get an outline or something. I hardly ever use a brush for detail, you just have to dip the tip in more often than a brush.

I hope it turns out nice and will be waiting to see it.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wanting to airbrush this on. I'm stepping over my abilities again. I need to check out the hand held stenciles again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would try mixing some of the gold with clear to thin it out a bit. You might be able to mix it with a satin clear to dull it out a touch perhaps. Never tried this myself but I would give it a try. Might also lay down the color in question and dull it with some 2000 grit and then polish it to get the desired look then clear it. Just some ideas...again never done this before.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd give it a shot. use a little test board for mixing small amounts of paint, but keep in mind what your ratio is.

Dip a toothpick in the paint and let it drip onto the mixing pad. Try mixing it like 10 to 1 and if that doesn't work try it again with less black. Good luck and keep us posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts