Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might find this kinda' neat:

My wife and I were at a guys house that sells art-deco and such. He had about 25 Aurora T-jet slots (bought em!) and several boxes of HW track sets and acc. I ended up trading a record album ( The Ventures-Live in Japan) and $20.00 for the lot.

When we got home I was checking it out and found one of the boxes had a little cardboard holder down inside the bottom on the sealed side of the box. I opened that side and found a car. Apparently the cardboard inner had been put in backwards--keeping the car from being visible from the clear window on the other side and no one bothered to look in the bottom of the box.

The wife saw it and said-that's cute, can I have it? Then, she's off with it saying "Oh you don't care about it, it's only a VW and you never give me anything and you have so many others...blah, blah, etc, etc.
Well suffice to say it's hers. Here it is- still as new:

Women--What can you do? :rolleyes:

cheers..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,
Thanks for the comps' guys.
Can someone here enlighten me a little more about this car? I used to be an avid collector, but even then I just picked up what I liked and I've never researched the values of the cars. I saw some kind of guide several years ago, but the prices seemed way too high and Epay seems to be hit or miss with prices. I don't want to sell anything--I'm just curious.

sandcrab said:
If it's true yellow like it looks you scored a rare and expensive bug.
Mike
The pic is a good representation of the true colour and I know it's an original car.
Is this a special colour or something? Are VW's harder to find? What makes this rare besides its age?
Sorry for the barrage of questions but know very little about "true" collecting- besides what I've learned on this board.

Thanks,
Cheers..

·
Registered
382 Posts
You might check out the site below. This site is frequented by guys who routinely spend hundreds of dollars on a single redline. You might find something by poking around the site [I don't do redlines, so I'm not really familiar with the site] or by posting on the bulletin board.
:confused:
http://www.redlinesonline.com/

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there, OP,
Thank you for the link. It was most informative. I was able to locate the car there. It's under the Spectra-Flame heading and listed ( as best I can figure) as a yellow/gold tone. I found no pics of that particular model other than one with decal numbers.
I went to the forums and was really impressed by the customs and photo work that's been done over there. There's some good modelers.
Not being a member and having no reason to be, I decided to forgo my questions over there. No reason to join for just a few questions and you guys already have been most informative here. :)
So thanks to you, I now know the production year (69/70) and the colour.

Now would anyone here care to venture a guess on value?
How's 50-75 bucks sound?

Thanks again.

Cheers..

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
if its yellow 45 - 80
if its gold 40 -80
this is from a old tomarts guide so it might fetch more depending who needs it most

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
robmcin said:
I posted it for you over on Redlines Online,
Good gosh Rob, :eek:

You really didn't have to got to that much trouble! It really wasn't necessary, but I am truly grateful for the help. It worked too! I checked your post and the replies stated that the colour is the key. If it's gold--$50 to $70, if it's yellow--$500 to $700. Wow! What a range! I am unsure what colour hers' really is but I am leaning towards yellow, because it doesn't look like the ones posted that are gold. Thanks again Rob, for all your help. The wife's flippin' right now!

Oh, and thanks for calling me "a friend"--a nice gesture considering you've never met me (but I hope you remember me from the JL board waaaay back). You can always check my credentials with ol' Zebbie if curious. ;)

Cheers, Mate!

R

·
0 Posts
No problem, I was curious also.

No problem on the "friend" part, since I have "known" you for so long, I just didn't think "a guy" would fit it. And any friend of Ron's HAS to be a friend of mine!! :hat:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts