Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This idea will probably have people killing each other in the isles, but here goes. I haven’t been on the boards for a while, so I don’t know what has been suggested lately. I have, in the past come up with an idea or two that JL actually used...the Batmobiles from different decades was probably the coolest notion I contributed to. Any way, I was wondering if JL sales have been down lately. Or have they simply targeted specialty outlets? They used to be everywhere, now toy stores in my area seem to get them fairly sporadically of late. Then the same leftovers will sit for months. So I started thinking in terms of promotional ideas for collectibility purposes. Even if JL is selling fine elsewhere, it’s still an idea worth getting feedback on.

This is a proposal for a one of a kind JL, limited to one car per casting, ever. This might consist of a unique white lightning or a unique paint job/design. Or it might be a subtle difference in the paint job that is harder to detect. Each existing casting would have this one-of-a-kind car, and each new casting would have one in coming years.

Now, here’s where the hunt gets really interesting. Each casting’s special release is kept a secret for several months after each run. PM releases the official word via their web-site after this set amount of time. In some cases, the unique car would be obvious, but in others, it might be something quite small to keep collectors guessing for a while. And you can imagine the hype this would cause, not to mention the prices on ebay. What do you all think?

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
I don't think it would boost sales. It could possibly boost returns after folks find out they don't have the 1 of a kind. It would however boost interest by both the collector and the scalper.

One thing RC2 did announce is that they will be reducing the WL runs down to 1% or under. Currently they said it could be as much as 3% or more for some cars. That will have a big impact on me as a casual hunter. I currently only find around 4 a year. I expect it to go to negative numbers once the change takes place.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi robdog and owl...my life got a little complicated for a while, but 'm still around. Good to see you guys as well.

Yes center, it would increase the scalpers and collector's interests. On the other hand, didn't all the hooey over scalpers and crazed collectors create interest in product a few years back? Hype is a large part of sales...a sad but true fact.

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Great idea! :thumbsup: I think the one of a kind car should be cast in .999 gold. :p

A bit costly for RC2, but what an interest it would generate in collecting Johnny Lightning cars!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it's not a fair idea, it's a sales gimmick to be sure. I was thinking from a business standpoint for PM to generate interest. I know I would never own one of these cars if they did it...heck, I couldn't even find half the sts in toy stores during the big JL surge 3 or 4 years back around here. Collecting anything is never a fair trade...but it's totally cool when that rarity does find it's way into your hands.

How about this then as an alternate idea, and also one that would increase the chances of the average collector. Call it "The JL 500." This limited car is distributed 500 per new casting, per year...distibuted in whatever various sets the casting might appear in. And as stated in my original proposal, this is limited to one time per casting, ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts