Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you will recognize this JL casting as the mobile observation unit from the tv series Lost in space.
I got to fiddling around with it and turned it into a slot (car?). This was against my better judgement because I don't make slots cars from die-cast conversions, but this is actually all plastic except for the tracks which I removed from the die-cast under-carriage. I thought--if this was brought back to earth, what could it be used for? I figured since it was sealed for space use, Jacques Coustou would buy it for deep sea exploration.
So here on Earth it's my mobile underwater fossil foraging diving unit. :)

It runs great but 'tis a bit top-heavy

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Phil, that is just to cool man! That's definately the fun part of this hobby........modeling and customizing all sorts of stuff.....It's a breeze when you're using Tjets as a base for customs.......you can nearly screw post anything.. :wave:

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Yes, I can hear Jacques narrating right now.....

That morning we left the Calypso, all of us in our new mobile underwater fossil foraging diving unit not knowing what to expect, we ventured on.......... :eek: rr

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I like how you kept the tracks I have seen one done without the tracks and it did not look nearly as nice. I may have to make one of those myself as I had some water damage in the basement from Ivan blowing thru and dumping almost 6 inches of rain while I was at the Fest. I will have to figure out how to seal the track from shorting out under water.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A solution?

Thanks for the comps, all!

Here's a pic of the underside--

As you can see, this is on an original Aurora chassis. It was an easy convert--the hardest part was probably cleaning the chassis (picked up at a yard sale), it was full of lint The kids must have ran these on the rug because the fibers from the carpet were all munched around the axles and gears :). No damage though.

Goose I might have a solution for your "underwater" track dilemma :freak: ....

cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts