Hobbyist Forums banner

A kid and a GM Ten Pack

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Dadvball 
#1 ·
Last night was our Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet. We always raffle off some toys, remote control cars, and various gift certificates donated by the local Speedway, and a couple of arcades. I usually throw in a few cars but this year I donated the GM Muscle 10 pack.
A 10 year Scout won this, and the minute he got back to his table, he ripped the box open, and painstakingly unwound every one of those wires holding the cars in place. He had them lined up in rows of 3, with all the hoods open. If I hadn't been running the show, I would have liked to get a picture.

It was good to see a kid with some cars instead of a video game.

#2 ·
Very cool story...when I was involved with our local scout troop I tried to get the parents to contribute to a raffle type door prize program at the blue and gold...they shot my idea down...I think the majority of the parents involved in our troop were just cheapskates.

#3 ·
that is great to hear Bill. it seems that kids just aren't interested in basic toys anymore unless they have some form of technology implemented in them. the sad part is that i think i had more fun with my simple toys when i was a kid than the kids these days with what they have out now. i've been picking up some of my childhood toys from when i was a kid for my kids. to be honest they seem to enjoy them more than the newer stuff. awhile back i bought a US1 Electric Trucking Set and my kids just love it.

#6 ·
DadsCoronet said:
Nice going, Bill. How dare you get these innocent kids addicted to little metal cars! Haven't you learned your lesson??? :drunk: :p

Sounds like you've got a great Cub Scout group (pack? den?) :thumbsup:

I know. It's a dirty job, but someones gotta feed the addiction. :lol:

Our Pack has about 60 scouts, from 1st graders to 5th graders. A very good bunch of kids and parents. Next Saturday is our Pine Wood Derby Race, and the kids are already anxious. I'll have to get some pics. Not being a man of wealth (who is these days?), they'll all get a couple of HW's as they are eliminated. Kinda softens the blow about losing. It's still a blast watching as they will take forever to find just the right car on the table, and them rip it open.

#7 ·
Did you say pine wood derby? ahh,the memories...so much fun!

I know you didn't ask for tips for a fast car but,if your Son wants a fast car...

show him how to file down the casting lines on the bottom of the nail(axle)head,then smooth with some emery cloth with the nail in a drill,then polish with mothers aluminum polish.

go with the maximum weight allowed.

The last year my Son raced a car it was undefeated...it even beat the champion from the previous year which was just a grudge race.

Good luck!
:)

#8 ·
being a scout seems so long ago to me. It was a great time though. And the pine wood derby was the best part. Taking out just a little bit of the front underside so you can glue a quater in there for wieght. Ahhhhhh the memories. thanks for sharing Bill

#12 ·
Bill really does care about those kids, and as he proved at Johnny Jam last year, he's really dedicated to sharing this hobby with the next generation. I have no doubt that if Bill were standing at the pegs and had his Holy Grail in his hands, he'd hear a little kid say "Mommy, look at the car that man has, it's beautiful!!!!" and hand it right over to the little car lover.

No doubt.

That's the kind of guys we have here, that's what makes this a better site.

Kudos, Bill :thumbsup:
*pats on shoulder*

#13 ·
Geez Rich, you're making me blush. :eek: Thanks for the nice words, but you and many others here are just as deserving of that kind of praise. Remember all the great stuff the "kids" walked away with at Johnny Jam?

By the way, Rich sent me a pm last night offering HW's for next Saturday's Pine Wood Derby. A fine example of the Hobby Talk Spirit. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.