Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all that is going on, the high tension and negativity, I thought it would be a good idea to lighten things up a little.

So let's remember the good things, the funny things and the things that make you glad you race.

Post up your stories here, be they about a great race, a bad race, that boneheaded thing you or your buddy did or a memorable moment. You get the idea.

I will start.

This was many many years ago and we were laying the carpet at a local track that was set to open here in Birmingham. Well being racers we knew someone would show up with a car. I think most of us did, but we were beaten to the puch of getting on the track by none other that good ol' Baader.

To give you the lay out, the track was in an old store that had columns supporting the roof. Can you see where this is headed? :D There was no inner wall yet, but Chuck just had to come and lay down some laps. Now did he put a stocker in it? Oh no, not Chuck. He shows up with some hot wind and a hot pack. Keep in mind this are 6-cell days. Oh did I mention he was running w/o a body? He was. So a few laps go by, he is feeling a little froggy and starts to pull on it. Then WAM right into the turn 1-2 column. Brand new car into a pile of junk.

I miss those days.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Last saturday in Plattsburgh they raced Slashes on their little oval with a 88 foot runline. The guys were having a blast and cracking themselves up by hitting each other like there was no tomorrow and running each other right off the track. It was all in good fun. Some guys would make wheelies and one guys actually managed to traction-roll in the straight once, I don't know how he did it! It was hilarious!

Then in their main, they go OK WE'RE AT HALF WAY, TIME TO START GOING THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

I just cracked myself watching them go. They looked like a bunch of monster trucks making laps around a tennis court lol!!!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Summer of '85

I had just spent the past couple years on a pit crew at the local Dirt Oval track for the multi-time Track Champion, Dan Simkins, after spending several years with my dad racing a Late Model at the local Dirt track, and the THEN 1/4 mile Asphalt track a couple hours away...

A buddy of mine from work, who knew I loved OVAL RACING said "Hey, did you see they are building a RC Car "Dirt Oval Track" in the old SLOT CAR TRACK Building?"

Went by the locatation at lunch - and peeked through the fogged up windows, and they were filling this HUGE wooden box *(ok so it wasn't that huge...maybe 20 x 30 at best) but at that time...it LOOKED huge.

Two weeks later, the Hobby shop/track opened their doors....and on the first race day I saw TWO of my favorite drivers from that local "Full Scale" DIRT OVAL track...

WOW did those cars look cool (Yokomo 4wds)

The guy behind the counter showed me a NEW "Team Associated" RC10 (Gold Tub) 2wd car - and all I knew was.... "I GOTTA HAVE ONE"

It took me a few weeks, but I picked up one of those gold tubbed cars, along with a USED "Futaba" Brown Box radio, a B&B Juice Machine Charger, 3 battery packs (sc1200's I believe) and two stock motors.

We raced these w/ Buggie bodies for a couple months, then switched to what I believe was the MRP Camaro body...and man were WEDNESDAY NIGHTS Fun for the next 3 years...(That's about how long the track lasted, before the landlord DOUBLED the RENT)

·
Registered
155 Posts
The most memorable moment for me came last year at a toy drive race on offroad. I had bought my son and me a slash. Ive been racing for 20+ year In all kinds of things from 1/24 to real cars. My son had been racing maybe six mouths at the time. Anyway we show up and there are 20+ enteries in the slash class. After all the heat I was 2nd my son was 9th. Not bad he made the A. I took the lead in the first turn and thought I was pulling away. About half way threw the race I hear his up to fourth and faster lap than me. A few laps go by he is 2nd. Next thing I know he is all over me. I blocked the crap out of him. He finely got by me and clean I might add. Then went on to get the win. His first win ever. I asked why did you just turn me. You knew I was blocking. He said yea but I want to strait up bet you. I have never been more proud of him. First time I have ever been proud to run 2nd.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
The flying KSG, just post the video, lol
With all that is going on, the high tension and negativity, I thought it would be a good idea to lighten things up a little.

So let's remember the good things, the funny things and the things that make you glad you race.

Post up your stories here, be they about a great race, a bad race, that boneheaded thing you or your buddy did or a memorable moment. You get the idea.

I will start.

This was many many years ago and we were laying the carpet at a local track that was set to open here in Birmingham. Well being racers we knew someone would show up with a car. I think most of us did, but we were beaten to the puch of getting on the track by none other that good ol' Baader.

To give you the lay out, the track was in an old store that had columns supporting the roof. Can you see where this is headed? :D There was no inner wall yet, but Chuck just had to come and lay down some laps. Now did he put a stocker in it? Oh no, not Chuck. He shows up with some hot wind and a hot pack. Keep in mind this are 6-cell days. Oh did I mention he was running w/o a body? He was. So a few laps go by, he is feeling a little froggy and starts to pull on it. Then WAM right into the turn 1-2 column. Brand new car into a pile of junk.

I miss those days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts