Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of our fellow racers recently bought a batch of old tjets and related parts. Most of the cars were cut for bigger rear tires. There was a Willys, Riviera, beetle, ford falcon, and believe it or not an olive charger that are un-cut or repairable. The charger is complete and in very good condition. Here's the kicker, he got the whole thing for $20. Kinda makes ya feel a little sick don't it.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
mtyoder said:
One of our fellow racers recently bought a batch of old tjets and related parts. Most of the cars were cut for bigger rear tires. There was a Willys, Riviera, beetle, ford falcon, and believe it or not an olive charger that are un-cut or repairable. The charger is complete and in very good condition. Here's the kicker, he got the whole thing for $20. Kinda makes ya feel a little sick don't it.
Isn' that Charger typically a $200 or $300 car on FleaBay?

'doba

·
Registered
749 Posts
Doesn't make me sick at all, I am happy for him.

Their are slotcars under your nose everyday, you just have to ask. If you work at a retail location, ask the owner/boss if it is OK if you put up a sign "I buy Slot Cars" maybe with a car on a 9" straight, so people know what you are talking about.

Got some of my best cars that way.
Tell your friends, neighbors, etc.
They are in attics right now, waiting to have new homes.

Enjoy!
Keith

·
Registered
306 Posts
That doesn't make me sick at all - at least they went where they'll be appreciated. Here's one for you: A friend of mine (who's into H.O. slots) was walking around the flea market a few years ago and spotted a tackle box with STP and various other "car" racing stickers on it at a lady's stand. Thinking he found a treasure box, he dove for it, and picked it up, only to find it empty. He asked the woman if there used to be toy racing cars in it, and she said "Yes, it was full of them, but most of them were taken apart so I threw them away - I thought someone could use the box, though." THAT made me want to throw up.

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
krazcustoms said:
He asked the woman if there used to be toy racing cars in it, and she said "Yes, it was full of them, but most of them were taken apart so I threw them away - I thought someone could use the box, though." THAT made me want to throw up.

OOOUUUCCCHHHHHHHHHH...... :eek:

Wes

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
One day I will find a really sweet score like that, Mr Yoder. I bet you will too, yeah?!

As far as swaps go, all I ever see are a few ratty common tyco 440s for 15.00 to 20.00 each. No thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I see those a lot too Joe. I told one guy that has had the same 2 vipers on his stand 2 months that that I would give him 15 for pair just so he can make room for other stuff. He said 35 and I told him not in my life time LOL

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
41-willys said:
I see those a lot too Joe. I told one guy that has had the same 2 vipers on his stand 2 months that that I would give him 15 for pair just so he can make room for other stuff. He said 35 and I told him not in my life time LOL
What a doorknob. :rolleyes:

'doba

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last descent deal I saw was at an auto swap meet. A guy had a couple boxes full of magnatractions and afx. He had an original(not jl) purple and white pro-stock javelin for $50. I've seen them sell for a lot more. He had some other cool stuff too, but I was after 1:1 stuff.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was pretty tickled with the big box of G-plus stuff I recently got for 30 bucks...

Had a blue oscar and a 6 wheel elf in it....and a couple hopped up ferarri can ams...and enough parts to build at least a few more hopped up chassis...

An a really cool pit box with all kinds of sponsor stickers on it...

Wouldnt have got it unless I was at the store buying an AW x-track for 19 bucks...

An acceptible trade off I guess... :)

Being an electrician....I find alot of stuff in peoples attics and crawl spaces that sometimes people have completely forgotten about...

I recently found 6 boxes of lionel train stuff in an old lady's crawl space....

I offered to buy the stuff...

At first she said I could have it all...

Then when I fished it all out...she had second thoughts....she said she wanted to give it to her grandson....

I was kinda disappointed at first....but as I thought about it....I was happy some greedy ass collector didnt pluck it from her estate sale or some stupid relative didnt throw it out...I left her a note with the stuff for her grandson with the phone number of a reputable local guy who tunes up and restores lionel stuff....noting it was a valuable piece of his families history, how to get it fixed up...and how to keep it for his kids someday..

She almost cried when she read the note...seems the stuff was from one here sons the died in vietnam...her late husband had packed the stuff away...and she had forgotten all about it...

:thumbsup:

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
joez870 said:
One day I will find a really sweet score like that, Mr Yoder. I bet you will too, yeah?!

As far as swaps go, all I ever see are a few ratty common tyco 440s for 15.00 to 20.00 each. No thanks.
Me too. I am hoping to step in that one great pile of **** that will be my windfall. :jest: rr

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RacerDave said:
I stepped in a pile of ****this morning. Darn dog. Just my luck. No windfall here.
Sombody's dog ate a slotcar recently, maybe you just stepped in the wrong pile! :lol: Sorry, had to say it.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Dagnabit! Doofed that charger.

I totally doofed that auction! I spotted it. Bid low. I was watching it, slobbering for days. Then I just flat forgot! A victim of my own system. Yeah, could'nt believe it myself. I suppose it's fitting punishment as I'm a quick fingered, E- bay pirate. I always place a low bid on the first day and lurk back til the witching hour. I myself have been blind sided so many times my head looks like a pomegranite. I just got tired of gettin' wacked, and adopted a new strategy barely within the confines of E-bays so called good guy doctrine. I get lot of good stuff on flea bay, but you gotta curry comb it carefully. I usually scan the ending soonest back 12 to 24 hrs, after I check my E-mail in the morning, in case I missed something like those annoying one day only auctions. In the evening I scan the days offerings and tuck interesting stuff away under watch. I also weed things out from the day before; like jerks, poor feed back, and the waste my time money order only guys(unless it's a real plum); as well as things that have just gotten out of hand early. Generally I default to items I need to complete an existing project before buying something shiney. The only exception is the large, tangled pile. It's a lot like poker with all the bluffs and tells of a heated card game. If your not greedy, watch carefully there's usually a nugget to be had. I love the big tangled chunks of slot parts. Glad that charger went to a good home. BH

·
Registered
101 Posts
krazcustoms said:
That doesn't make me sick at all - at least they went where they'll be appreciated. Here's one for you: A friend of mine (who's into H.O. slots) was walking around the flea market a few years ago and spotted a tackle box with STP and various other "car" racing stickers on it at a lady's stand. Thinking he found a treasure box, he dove for it, and picked it up, only to find it empty. He asked the woman if there used to be toy racing cars in it, and she said "Yes, it was full of them, but most of them were taken apart so I threw them away - I thought someone could use the box, though." THAT made me want to throw up.
This must be what the death of a dream feels like. :freak:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I picked up a whole stack of cars once, 110 of them actually, for $5.00 australian each. They were the Ferarri 512LM's, in red, white yellow. I did not know at the time, that they were worth $100 - $200 each, US, so i sold them all for $30US each, and some people made a killing.

But, i digress. I paid, including postage, $50.00 for an aurora set, from New Zealand, with a molded white Datsun 510BRE. I have never seen another one around, and i think, from memory, was offered about $500 from a serious collector, and then there was a mug who offered $20.00 for it. NOPE, didnt sell it tho :)

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Andrij said:
yep, but at the time i was selling them, i did not have a clue they were worth that much.
If you made a few bucks and a bunch of guys got a cool, hard to get car at an awesome price, everybody wins. I just wish I was one of the guys who got one. Any left for sale??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts